Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 02 May 2001 12:03:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Richard I have a query on a substance called "exelyene". I can find no trace in any of the usual sources including Oxford Uni. Dept of Chemistry - does anybody know if this is an alternative name for something? Richard
Admin  
#2 Posted : 02 May 2001 15:24:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mark Preston I couldn't find a synonym for "exelyene" in Sax, the CDC/NIOSH pocket guide, or at the US EPA site. But that "y" looks a bit superfluous - exelene appears to be a trade name for a small range of lubricating oils made by D A Stuart... I've also found reference to exelene as a electrical cable insulator - it might be the same stuff
Admin  
#3 Posted : 03 May 2001 08:59:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mike exelyene is not a known chemical synonym but does this possibility make any sense - it sounds almost identical to the way some Germans and Dutch pronounce "xylene".
Admin  
#4 Posted : 04 May 2001 06:55:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Alex Shannon I may be just guessing here but it sounds like one of sub-classes of hydrocarbons. Either an Alkene (my favored choice) CnH2n such as ethane (ethylene) or an Alkyne CnH2n-2 e.g. ethyne (acetylene). Hope this helps in some way. Best regards Alex
Admin  
#5 Posted : 04 May 2001 09:43:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mike Sorry Alex, I should have been more positive (or is that negative?) in my response above. I knew there was no such hydrocarbon synonym as "exelyene", though I could not completely rule out a trade name or synonym of something other than a hydrocarbon. A search of http://www.chemfinder.com indicated it was not one of the 200,000 substances indexed and its synonym list is very comprehensive. A typographical error or mishearing of some other name are my guesses.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 09 May 2001 10:49:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Richard Thanks to everybody for the responses. As suggested (and as I had begun to suspect) the substance is, in fact, that old favourite xylene! Richard