Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 02 June 2001 14:26:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Roy Macpherson I am trying to gather as many ideas as I can to help with a project I have undertaken: to reduce the reported hand injuries suffered by staff at our electricity generation facilities. Has anyone else put themselves through this stress with any success? Any help would be most appreciated!! I suggested removing the groups which have suffered the injuries but this was "unproductive"!!!
Admin  
#2 Posted : 02 June 2001 18:46:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bill Fisher Roy Can you tell us a bit more? What type of hand injuries - cuts, stabbing wounds, crushing etc? and the circumstances. Bill
Admin  
#3 Posted : 03 June 2001 22:08:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Roy Macpherson Cheers Bill The injuries here are in the main suffered by maintenance and operations staff and run the whole range from crushing to chemical attack to steam burns-in one case bee stings! The majority of the injuries though are minor abrasions and small cuts, usually suffered in areas which wouldnt normally be considered hazardous. We have examined our hand protection and as far as we can ascertain the range we have available is entirely suitable for the work but our reporting doesnt take PPE into account when details are reported. I have spoken to some of the victims and there does seem to be a trend where protection wasnt being used as it was felt that it wasnt required in the area but is it simply a problem of perception of risk or something deeper-I shudder to think!
Admin  
#4 Posted : 05 June 2001 21:22:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Angela Reduction strategy. I work for a company in the nuclear industry and we also had a higher rate of hand injuries on maintenance. Spookily enough, we also had the bee sting, maybe you are under cover from our place ;-) We decided at the time by the way that the bee sting was not a work related injury. Starting with the wonderful principle that PPE is the last resort. Let's look at what else you can do. Here are a few ideas that I have seen implemented following near miss and accident reports. 1. Review all the hand tools that are in use. Are you using closed spanners and not open spanners to reduce the risk of slippage. Are tools regularly checked for wear Are the right tools available for the job Are any tools adapted to fit the job, a sure sign that it is an incorrect tool. Are sharp edges covered when not in use. Are tool racks used for ease of access and not big boxes that have to be rummaged through. 2. Training When did everyone last receive training in safe use of hand tools? Yes, even your core skilled fitter 28 years into the job need training now and then, stop unsafe habits creeping in. 3. Left Handedness, Right Handedness Looking at accident reports often shows that it was the idle hand that got injured whilst resting in an unsafe place. Education is key to this one for people to be aware of the vulnerable spare hand. 4. Near Miss Encourage near miss reporting, so that you can foster a better culture, and make the employees more aware of the need to work safely. 5. 60 second risk assessment Not sure how this initiative will go, it has not been in place long at our place of work, again it is about education to try and get very experienced workers just to stop for a minute and think about the job and asociated hazards. 6. Finally, PPE is the last resort Have a mobile display of all the gloves and barrier creams available and raise awareness of use of PPE. Hope some of this helps.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 06 June 2001 07:34:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bill Fisher Roy I couldn't add to Angela's words except the minor point - start with the supervisors. Sell the benifits to them and consider preparing a script for them to deliver through tool-box talks. Like Angela and yourself the Site I am on had a rash of hand injuries, mainly cuts, and with the support of supervision, positive use of anti-cut gloves and introduction of safety knives they got the problem licked. Bill
Admin  
#6 Posted : 13 June 2001 01:35:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Roy Macpherson Thank you all for your input, I have presented my report to our management after due consideration of the info that I gathered, your help is greatly appreciated. If you would like a copy of the report please email me direct and I will forward it to you. Roy