Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 04 July 2001 21:49:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stephen Bridgehouse
Does anyone have a 'safe system of work'for the removal/unblocking of grit which has become jammed in the rota/housing.

A local authority workman was injuried recently whilst carrying out this operation.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 05 July 2001 20:47:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stuart Nagle
Stephen.

Going back in years to my days spend shivering on cold winter mornings/nights on gritting vehicles, I am suprised to hear of this accident.

As far as I am aware, once the gritter unit (fixed or demountable type) is disengaged, the spinner at the rear that 'spreads' the grit should stop revolving.

Once it had stopped revolving, there was a pin at the side,which, once removed opened the spinner and blockages could be removed. the unit was then closed, pin reinserted, and the unit restarted. A quite safe operation as I recall - except on the motorway hard shoulder at 03.00 hours in the snow !!

You may have several problems;

1) disengaging the unit is not stopping the spinner - this can and should be rectified by mechanical maintenance.

2) Blockages are always a nuisance, and best avoided. Is the grit being loaded correctly and is there a grid atop the gritter body to prevent 'lumps' entering the hopper ?

3) What is the condition and storage facility of the grit like. If the grit get excessively wet, it will form into lumps, especially over long periods of storage (how old is it).

Improvements to storage facilities and 'working the grit over' with machinery, such a a bucket loader can work wonders.

If the grit is not 'de-crusted' and just taken and placed in a hopper, you're always going to get problems !!

Hope this is of assistance...

Stuart Nagle
Admin  
#3 Posted : 05 July 2001 21:30:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stephen Bridgehouse
Thank you for your response.

I would presume that the person in question did not disengage the drive and tried to clear the blockage purely to save time and subsequently injured himself (human error).