Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 12 July 2001 11:27:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Richard We are having some major construction work done during the summer, to which CDM Regs apply. Yesterday I spoke to one of the contractor's employees who was using a road drill without hearing protection. My boss subsequently told me that since we have handed the site over to the contractor it is none of my business what they do. I am not a CDM expert but my interpretation is that unless we have we have appointed an agent, and the appointment has been acknowledged by HSE, then we, as the Client, retain health and safety responsibilility for the operations of the contractor, and the sub-contractors, (albeit shared) and therefore I have a duty to monitor their operations, if only to prove "due diligence" I know this has come up in the past, but I can't seem to find it in the archive. I would welcome some advice from those who are a bit more familiar with CDM than I am! Thanks Richard
Admin  
#2 Posted : 12 July 2001 12:23:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jim Sweetman Richard, Your question is a familiar one. There is nothing written down in CDM, or the ACOP (including the recent Consultative Document, which specifically requires the Client to monitor the contractor's performance. Whether or not CDM applies, other H&S Legislation does apply. Hence, it is easier to come back to HASWA, sections 3 & 7. Milestone court cases such as Octel and Derby County Council demonstrate the principles involved with dealing with contractors. Or, more importantly, the consequences of not controlling them. Hope this is what you seek. Regards Jim Sweetman
Admin  
#3 Posted : 12 July 2001 12:31:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Craig Foyle Richard Your boss is wrong. The CDM Regulations place duties first and foremost upon the Client. The recent Construction News (IOSH) highlighted that Clients are the main target for HSE prosecution. Even if all safe systems, procedures and a health and safety plan are in place the Client has ultimate responsibility for the site. If you provide your contact details I will let you know where to find information on this. Craig
Admin  
#4 Posted : 12 July 2001 13:12:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jay Joshi As far as CDM is concerned, once the construction phase starts,(the Principle Contractor can only start that phase after the client has approved/agreed to the Principle Contractors Construction Phase health & Safety plan)then the Principle Contractor has the prime/overall responsibility for Site Safety. In fact there is nothing in CDM that requires The Client to inspect/monitor the site. Obviously,there will be implications of the method in which the client determined the competence of the Principal Contarctor prior to appointing them, and also in allowing construction work to start by agreeing to the H & S Plan. The H & S plan must have all the relevant control measures/safe working methods etc. A client may include within contract terms & conditions the consequences of not adhering to the H & S plan. Also, nothing prevents clients (at a cost!!!) to have additional monitoring of the site and include it in the contract terms & conditions. The Octel case precedence cannot be applied to all Client/contractor works, although it was a landmark judgement.In case of Octel, the incident occured at the Octel site where Octel Safety Policy,procedures and permit-to-work systems were in place. That may not be the case for all CDM work. Finally, Clients have a lot at stake--byeven if legally they may not be responsible during the construction phase, their corporate reputation is at stake and for that reason if nothing else, they need to monitor the Principle Contractors management of health & safety at site--even if it is outside the scope of CDM, it can be included in the terms & conditions of the contract
Admin  
#5 Posted : 16 July 2001 14:55:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Richard Perhaps "monitor" was the wrong term to have used. My understanding is that since we have control of the premises, we have the resposibility, and as HSO that responsibility devolves to me. We/I cannot simply opt out by saying we have handed over to a contractor, unless that contractor is officially our agent, and this has been acknowledged, in writing, by HSE. Craig - my contact number is 01382 834845 Richard
Admin  
#6 Posted : 17 July 2001 22:32:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert Dee Jim Where can I get a summary of the Octel v Derby Council case to which you refer? Thanks
Admin  
#7 Posted : 18 July 2001 09:36:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bryan Owen So to get this clear, you have construction work underway on your site (for which you are the responsible person), for which contractors have been employed who are not looking after their own health and safety. Looking at the law, the prime concerns for you should be firstly section 3 of the HSW Act, and then the relevant sections of CDM. I would say that the Octal experience does apply here, as you will have agreed the working practices / method statements to be undertaken on site with your principal contractor, including any permits to work, etc. Therefore this employee is effectively using your systems of work. And as far as monitoring goes, CDM may not say that you should monitor, but it definitely does not say you shouldn't. If you're concerned about an issue on your site, go and sort it out. You represent the client, and by that I don't mean the CDM - version of client, I mean you are the company that's paying the bill at the end of the day. Remember, it's still your site, irrespective of who is working on it for you, and what they are doing. You may have the legal responsibility to ensure the safety of other people not in your employee, but you also have the moral responsibility to ensure the health and safety of every one who crosses your threshold.
Admin  
#8 Posted : 18 July 2001 09:59:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Richard Thanks Bryan. That is exactly my view Richard
Admin  
#9 Posted : 19 July 2001 13:33:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jim Sweetman Richard, You'll have difficulty finding that case, I suspect. I'm actually referring to two cases, previous to CDM: Octel Associated (1995?) - Prosecuted for incident where contractors were injured for not following a safe system of work. It was decreed that they should have had more control over their contractors. Derby County Council (1992?)- Digger swung bucket outside site curtilage and took top of double decker bus, killing a student. It was decreed that council officers/engineers on site should have seen and dealt with problem. I have no transcripts of these cases, but would advise contacting IOSH Technical. Regards Jim
Admin  
#10 Posted : 20 July 2001 08:29:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor Richard, You are correct. The issue is one of control. If you have any degree of control you have a duty to exercise it safely. If you have the power or right to do something you have the responsibility that goes with it.
Admin  
#11 Posted : 20 July 2001 11:16:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jay Joshi The query was specifically in the context of where CDM applied and not otherwise. Unlike non CDM work,(which I understand all the references to case law, including the OCTEL case referred to) CDM assigns specific responsibilities to all parties in the construction work. Where CDM applies, it is the Principal Contractors (PC) duty to manage and be primarily responsible for health and safety. It will be the construction phase H & S plan (which the client has a duty to ensure has been prepared before construction work starts) that will provide the details of any site rules, how to deal with problems if there is non-compliance with the site rules and the interaction of the construction work with the clients normal ongoing work activities if any. The type of CDM project will determine the “level of control” a client may have on the day to day activities of the Principal Contractor. For example, if a commercial developer (who is a financier—not a construction/building undertaking) i.e.Client has commissioned a design & build project to be executed at a greenfield site where the client has got no existing presence, then I cannot see how the client can be held responsible for day to day safety at the site if the client has done EVERYTHING expected of him in terms of competence and resources of the principle contractor, ensuring that a suitable H & S plan has been prepared before the start of the construction phase etc etc. Obviously in other CDM projects, the client may have “varying degrees of control” at the site. In this case the client must consider these factors and ENSURE that it is included in the construction phase health & safety plan. I cannot see how you as a client ensured that the PC’s H & S plan was suitable if it did not include “site rules” , including either reference to your (client’s) site rules if you have that level of control. And the nothing prevents you from insisting that the site rules include the actions you as a client can take if there is non compliance-especially if you have that level of presence/control at the site.