Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 27 July 2001 08:06:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Bennett I am currently investigating accident whereby a two-way radio fell three floors and struck an individual on the arm. The radio was carried by our on site engineers who were in the process of dealing with a lift entrapment. The engineer placed the radio on the floor and then stepped back kicking the radio off the atrium. Obviously, I highlighted the need for belt clips/holsters and edge protection for the atrium. However, my question is: - The lift in question has broken 11 times in the past fortnight and had the Lift Company repaired the lift correctly then the engineers would not have been performing this task. Would I be correct in stating in my accident investigation that a proportion of blame for this occurrence lies with the Lift Company. Thank you in advance for any advice given. Regards, John
Admin  
#2 Posted : 27 July 2001 09:03:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bryan Owen John, Before you start blaming an external company, you need to ensure that everyone in your company has done as much as they can in the situation. You need to check what the contract with the lift people is, who is responsible for calling them out, what systems are in place for internal communication of the need to call them out, etc. This way, if the injuried person does make a claim against you, you'll be able to demonstrate at least the basic management of the situation at hand
Admin  
#3 Posted : 27 July 2001 10:53:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Webster The lift engineers may well have been doing a lousy job if the breakdowns were that frequent, but I suggest it has little bearing on the incident. Your view that had the lift not broken down your maintenance man would not have been where he was and would therefore not have had the accident will be familiar to any Brit who has had a road accident in Saudi Arabia (the non-native is always to blame as had he not been in Saudi....etc.). The accident presumably could just as easily have happened the first time the lift broke down. If so, it looks as if your basic precautions/systems/procedures against things falling off the edge of upper floors are at fault, and you should count yourselves lucky that it was somebody's arm and not their head that was struck. John
Admin  
#4 Posted : 27 July 2001 11:00:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nigel Lusby John, From what you have said I dont think this has much to do with lifts, and everything to do with working at height. At height things will fall and if they fall they will hit something. The whys and wherefores of the failure to prevent it in this case I guess will be determined in your investigation. However I think you may be stretching it in attempting to blame a second party, for whatever reason. Regards Nigel
Admin  
#5 Posted : 31 July 2001 09:19:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jane Moody John The purpose of an accident investigation is to establish the facts and prevent recurrence, not to attribute blame. If legal action is taken - leave the courts to decide who was to blame. Your record should be impartial.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 31 July 2001 23:25:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Craythorne John, I suggest your company spends a little money and sends you on a decent accident investigation course. Regards, Paul
Admin  
#7 Posted : 20 October 2001 07:30:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jeremy R. Manderson Paul, Good comment.
Admin  
#8 Posted : 22 October 2001 09:07:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert K Lewis This accident highlights a problem area between the CHSW regs and the building regs. Under CHSW there is a need for toeboards in these areas but not so with the Building Regs. Similar problems occur with handrail heights and mid rails. This becomes noticeable when construction work is done. Your maintenance nman was, by definition under CDM and CHSW doing construction work, and so edge protection should have been improved to meet CHSW regs Bob