Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 17 September 2001 10:42:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Huber I am currently fighting a battle with a manager about the need for lifejackets while carrying out work from small boats in a tidal river. He is currently gathering information from other organisations in similar operations to prove that they are not routinely worn. It seems that the only way I am going to convince him and more importantly his boss is to provide similar information about organisations that do use lifejackets. I knows that the coastguard, river police, RN, Marines, etc all use them as a matter of routine. Could anyone who is involved in organisations with activities on water please let me know their policy on this matter. If you know of other organisations that enforce the use of lifejackets then I would also be grateful for that information. Thanks for the help Paul
Admin  
#2 Posted : 17 September 2001 11:40:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Richard Paul As usual, risk assessment is everything. I am not involved in "water" at all but I cannot conceive of any situation where I would allow those for whom I am responsible to work on water more than about 3 feet deep without life preservers Richard
Admin  
#3 Posted : 17 September 2001 13:38:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Huber Richard, Thanks for your comments, I agree wholeheartedly; Risk assessment is the answer. However, I am dealing with someone who doesn't accept the result of the risk assessment. He's been working on the water for 30 years..............., you know the type. I will win, I just want to back up my victory with as much independant support as I can muster. Paul
Admin  
#4 Posted : 21 September 2001 11:44:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Gary Davies Paul, An ex colleague made me aware of your plight and so... Port of London Authority Policy: Lifejackets will be worn when on deck at all times and this also includes the various types of work boats. The afore-mentioned includes visitors as well as staff. An exception to the above can be made by local managers if no operational work is being carried out on deck, providing the vessel is fitted with 1m high handrails or bulwarks. The Master may impose a stricter regime to allow for local conditions. Hope this is of some use. Rgds Gary Davies
Admin  
#5 Posted : 21 September 2001 15:32:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nicky I will see what I can find that is more up to date, but nearly twenty years ago I used to teach windsurfing (oh dear, I didn't realise how old I was)and the Royal yachting Association insisted that qualified Instructors wore lifejackets (Whilst in boats, not on windsurfers!)- The BBC insist that ayone working near water wearrs lifejackets - and they aren't in a boat.The guidance is there somewhere. Nicky
Admin  
#6 Posted : 21 September 2001 16:10:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Huber Thank you everyone who offered information. I used it along with other information I have gathered and I think I have won the battle. Once I choose the lifejackets they are going to wear them. Thanks again Paul
Admin  
#7 Posted : 25 September 2001 11:21:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor About 75% of drownings occur in inland waters. The legal requirement is for a safe system of work based upon risk assessment. The CITB position is that 'all personnel working over or near water and at risk of falling in should wear some form of lifejacket or buoyancy aid'. Life jackets are generally preferable as they will also aid an unconscious casualty and I would suggest that buoyancy aids would only be reasonabe where a lifejacket would not be reasonably practicable and other safer working methods (eg safety harnesses) could not reasonably be employed. Training in correct use will, of course, be essential.
Admin  
#8 Posted : 05 October 2001 14:05:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Juliet Fennell Bearing in mind that a person can drown in an inch of water, life jackets should be worn where that risk arises. We have a policy that states " An appropriate life jacket must be worn at all times by all persons working on or close to water, where there is a risk of drowning from stumbling or falling in to water." This is the case for all staff whether they have a dry suit or not. We have additional criteria for the wearing of dry suits. It may interest you to know that the Department of the Marine in Ireland is considering introducing compulsory wearing of lifejackets/buoyancy aids for (young) persons engaged in certain activities. I do not have all the details. Regards Juliet
Admin  
#9 Posted : 07 October 2001 10:27:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stuart Nagle Paul. The Construction (Health, Safety & Welfare) Regulations require - that where persons may fall into any liquid with a risk of drowning, suitable and sufficient measures must be taken to: prevent, so far as is reasonably practicable, persons from falling minimise risks of drowning, and ensure the provision and maintenance of suitable rescue equipment. Where transportationis by/over water, vessels used must be of suitable construction, properly maintained, controlled by a copenet person, and not overcrowded or overloaded. Given the above, there should ne no arguments whatsoever in supplying suitable (self inflating) life vests, and the necessary training ointheir use, and a means of rescue to support the personnel if falling into water (e.g. rescue boat ect perhaps - depending of level of risk). Stuart Nagle