Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 17 September 2001 12:16:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nick Higginson I work for a Utility company, whose staff spend most of their time on roads, footpaths, fields etc. How do you avoid slips/trips/falls in these places? Most guidance is aimed at factories and offices where the environment can be controlled and altered. Our staff are all supplied with safety shoes and training in personal risk assessment, but this does not stop them slipping on wet leaves or tripping up gutters. HSE is running a campaign on slips/trips/falls and there is an article in Septembers Practitioner by Stewart McEwen, but I can't find any reference to peripatetic workers. Anyone with similar experiences or able to offer any advice? Kind regards, Nick
Admin  
#2 Posted : 17 September 2001 15:34:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Brede Even on transient sites the basic rules still apply. Site tidiness and identification of slip, trip and fall hazards with a view to eliminating them by positive action of remving them or barriering them off. If this is not possible clear identification using spray cans or similar. Also briefing the operatives of the site hazards applies to the transient railway sites operated by my company.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 17 September 2001 17:37:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nick Higginson I'm not really talking about sites where we'd be there often (like your railway sites). I mean domestic and commercial properties and access to them. Are your really saying we could spray paint a consumers doorstep? Or a pile of leaves? This goes somewhat beyond "reasonably practicable" and I fear I may be laughed out of the office by my Directors. Regards, Nick
Admin  
#4 Posted : 17 September 2001 19:43:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Peter J Harvey Nick, This is highlighted as one of our major accident areas next to handling injuries. You are correct that this is a difficult one to approach and there I feel no straightforward answers. We are trying to tackle this in a number of ways. 1. Awareness plays an important part and I am positive that as a safety culture develops and improves so will the general awareness to slip/trip/fall. 2. We are involved with employees going into tenanted property and before they visit we warn clients that they should clear the working area. Otherwise staff will be required to ensure they have a clear working area or not work. 3. All slip/trip/fall accidents are investigated in detail and looked at in turn by our accident group. 4. Manual handling awareness training emphasis the need to plan, prepare, perform - in the plan stage the area of work is considered. 5. Talking to people about common causes (I was not looking, the floor was wet, I did not see the need, It just happened?) makes them think more. All basic stuff really, but I am hoping its works, we achieved a 27% accident reduction rate last year through awareness and training in the main, I hope this years might be the same. Any other ideas would be most welcome. Pete H
Admin  
#5 Posted : 17 September 2001 21:36:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andrew Powell Nick, Can you confirm, some of the sites are domestic and some commercial? Are their any hot spots, common factors that you can tackle? If you have new sites on your "books" all the time and visits are infrequent I do not see how much you can do apart from what has been already said, staff awareness and training. That said, if it is a medium/long term contract is it practical to perform site surveys??
Admin  
#6 Posted : 18 September 2001 09:31:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nick Higginson Gents, Thanks for your responses. There are no "contracts". We maintain the distribution system. Where there is a fault, we dig up the road or go to an individuals property, be that private or business. We are trying to raise awareness, the planning the route aspect of manual handling is currently being delivered in training. We are considering some behavioural safety aspects in next years action plan, as well as using the CLimate survey tool. It is frustrating, you bash on about this time and time again, do training, raise awareness, and someone goes and trips up a gutter and is off for a few days. What can you do? Nick
Admin  
#7 Posted : 18 September 2001 09:39:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Brede I am not talking about sites where we are there often either. My firm will do say bridge repairs which may involve continuous work or alternatively as access to the lineside is limited to set times, just showing up once a week usually on a Saturday night and working under floodlights. So the sites have to be treated as if we have not been there before. Therefore we have to factor in time for site preparation and if that involves sweeping away leaves, we sweep away leaves! Obviously if you started spraying a householders premises with paint then you would have to provide time to remove it afterwards. But on roads and pathways many local authorities paint cracks and damaged areas to highlight them. So lets get real. Outside of shops, factories and offices things cannot be perfect for a workforce to undertake activities. Some would say it is not much better in those environments either! But a method statement should include something about making the site fit for the work activity to take place and conversely to tidy up afterwards when the jobs done. Pre start site visits enable you to assess what is there and prepare accordingly. It is far from easy. But not impossible.
Admin  
#8 Posted : 18 September 2001 11:09:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nick Higginson David, I'm afraid that pre-start visits are not an option! We have staff who respond to fault situations and get people's electricity back on. This may mean going ANYWHERE in the Midlands where there are underground cables or overhead lines. We have huge pressures to bring down customer minutes lost, so it is not possible to cost in presite preparation. Nick
Admin  
#9 Posted : 18 September 2001 12:00:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Brede Nick So at bottom you have a classic safety versus production conflict. You may get some interesting outcomes of your climate tool exercise. if your management are committed to addressing the outcomes then you may be given some ammunition for your cause there. Also when the exercise takes place it raises interest in safety a la Hawthorne experiments. So there may be opportunities to develop a dialogue on safety issues with operatives so that you can influence working practices. Perhaps there are some win/wins to be unearthed where an improvement in safety may also improve production? Finally do you do any analysis of the cost of accidents. Are management fully aware of the costs of accidents e.g. loss of time due to recuperation, costs of taking injured personnel off site, replacement of injured workers using overtime, casual staff or overmanning, claims, claim processing, insurance costs etc. If this is significant then your are talking the same language as management i.e. money! David
Admin  
#10 Posted : 18 September 2001 14:31:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jay Joshi In such a situation, the degree of training of personnel who undertake these tasks and the equipment--whether PPE, tools etc is of paramount importance so that they have the competence to undertake these tasks safely--obviously you do not have control of the environment/site in term of making it safe. Is there any in depth analysis of the causes of these slips, trips & falls --and is it reasonably practicable to address factors other then the environment. The type of footwear, lighting conditions, communication with the tenant are factors. Even then, a balance has to be struck between operational requirements of meeting time targets and safety. I feel most organisations have now moved away from the era when time & motion studies were undertaken to establish optimum times. What is required is costing of these accidents --it may persuade some, but not all.
Admin  
#11 Posted : 18 September 2001 19:41:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Peter J Harvey You can cost these forever more and highlight the figures with neon lights but at the end of the day this will not stop these types of accidents happening. The real need is to raise awareness, get out there with each and every manager and employee and talk to them about safety issues, get back to basic toolbox talks and make the obvious, obvious.
Admin  
#12 Posted : 19 September 2001 09:20:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert Woods Has there been any dialogue with the people carrying out the work other than you giving them training? I have found that some of the most innovative ideas come from the people with most knowledge of what actually happens on site, the people doing the work. If the workers ideas become part of the safe system of work they then feel empowered by having a say in how the work is carried out. If workers feel the safety ideas are theirs then they are more likely to abide by them which exerts pressure for others to do likewise. With obvious H&S benifts. Robert Woods.
Admin  
#13 Posted : 19 September 2001 09:45:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nick Higginson Robert, I totally agree. We are currently revising the Safety Committee structure, an done of the aims is to involve Safety Reps in more project work, as opposed to being involved in a quarterly "talking shop". I feel one of their first projects may well be a task force on slips,trips and falls. Thanks for the comments. Nick
Admin  
#14 Posted : 19 September 2001 11:07:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Zyggy Turek Nick, I spent 14 years in H&S within the Gas industry which had similar problems to yourselves..Like you, we discussed similar statistics at H&S Committees & tried to raise awareness at "tool box talks" - without any great success. We then decided to re-examine the footwear that was being issued to try & ascertain if indeed this might be part of the problem - or indeed solution. Together with the TU H&S Reps I approached various suppliers of footwear & challenged them to provide us footwear that would meet our specifications. Following extensive field trials of various combinations & involving the workforce, a decision was jointly made to go for a specific design. The upshot was that the number of incidents declined for what I believe were two reasons. Firstly, we got better footwear, more suited to the work activities, and secondly, because we involved the workforce they became more aware of issues surrounding slips, trips & falls. In the final analysis you will never erradicate these types of accidents due to the nature of your varied work locations, but the above experience may assist you in your goal - good luck! Zyggy.
Admin  
#15 Posted : 19 September 2001 11:34:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jay Joshi When I referred to training & competence, it was not meant to be taken as academic/lecture type etc, but on the basis of feedback from those who undertake these jobs-hence the reference to an in depth analysis of the causes--this can only be undertaken if you have feedback from those who are in the front line. Also, many organisations tend to conduct generic risk assessments from the comfort of offices, not bothering to go to actual sites--obviously, in such scenarios no 2 sites will be the same , but after sampling a few, it can cover what is suitable & sufficient--for example, in Autumn, when there is a increased problem of wet leaves, is there Safety Footwear made available that addreses this problem--maybe, you have to provide a range of different types of safety footwear to use for different environmental conditions.My personal experience is that Operational managers are not interested in these issues. It is often too easy to select one type of safety footwear that supposed to be suitable for all environments, but in reality, is it??
Admin  
#16 Posted : 22 September 2001 21:02:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jan Moore Nick, I was about to write a response but looked through what you had already received. I am in total agreement with Rob Woods. I'v e just had similar talks with mobile school caretakers,whose job is to work at schools when the resident caretaker has time off. These blokes are new to a site, and appear to have similar problems to the ones your staff are experiencing. The only difference being that at least we are able to ask what particular hazards there are at a particular school. I have found by talking to the staff and discussing how we can improve the situation together, there was an immediate feeling that 'at least someone is interested' and this has improved morale and daft as it sounds, improved the accident incidence rate. Good luck. Jan
Admin  
#17 Posted : 25 September 2001 17:39:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By peter gotch David, This is not a simple safety v production issue. Nick's workforce are routinely dealing with emergency situations where customers have no electricity. For these customers the lack of power raises many H&S issues where the risks probably outweigh those of slips and trips to the workforce. Imagine telling an elderly spinster that she can have increased concern about being mugged because it is dark and the MEB won't do any work until after a pre-start meeting the following day! Not a lot of point in spray marking a defect which is subject to immediate emergency repair. The reason why you see spray marking on the streets is because a surveyor has been out checking the condition and spray marking to highlight where future scheduled repair works are to be undertaken. Good luck with your problem, Nick. Peter
Admin  
#18 Posted : 26 September 2001 18:15:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jerry Tucker As I'm a trainer for a county council' direct labour force I appriciate your problems.As Jay Joshi says you should look at the fundemental root causes of this problem. There could be numerous reasons for their trip & slips. Do your own analisis of what actually caused them,i.e. faulty work from a previous utillity operator.(THE NEW ROADS AND STREET WORKS ACT 1991)Or have the owners of the property porley maintained access etc.. The local council may be able to help with its satistics on 'CATORGRY 1 DEFECTS'i.e how many trips they were notified too any how long it took the to repair them. Good luck Jery Tucker