Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 24 September 2001 20:41:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Kevin Vinson Can anybody give me some advice...! Under normal operating conditions the tank in question, contains LPS and its pressure relief valves (PRV's) will cope with normal overpressure. A steam ejector feeds the tank via a pressure control valve (PCV). This PCV is controlled by a 'non fail safe' DCS and has high pressure trip. If there is a fault and the ejector goes into an over pressure condition together with the simultaneous failure of either the PCV, DCS, or pressure switch, mps will enter the tank. The tank's PRV's would not be able to cope with the subsequent overpressure condition in the tank. The pressure switch and PCV are checked periodically and failures have been found. Could anybody comment if this a suitable system. It is my belief that the PRV's need uprating but I need to justify this. Could you please point me in the direction of any ACOps, design standards or guidance etc Many Thanks Kevin
Admin  
#2 Posted : 01 October 2001 08:19:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Allan Kevin Once I got through all your jargon (LPS - Low pressure steam?) and got to the jist of your problem, it would appear that your system is not safe enough. "Normal overpressure" is not a term that I would use as it signifies a defect somewhere. A simple hazop for the system will show that it probably vulnerable to significant overpressure and a resultant high energy failure. FMEA may also be required for the component parts. How close is the system monitored and what are the consequences of failure? Design code advice is best left to the expert designers. David
Admin  
#3 Posted : 01 October 2001 11:28:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Webster Quite simply, the starting point is to assume a worst case scenario. Your control valve is stuck open, all of your electrical and electronic safety devices have failed and the highest pressure steam possible in the system is now flowing into your vessel at the maximum flow which your pipework pressure drop calculations will allow. If your vessel is not designed for this, and there are no other mechanical relief valves or bursting disks in the system to avoid this, then your vessel relief valve and pipework may have to be sized for this condition. As Kevin rightly says, expert advice should be sought. John