Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 01 October 2001 20:22:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Douglas oshea Can anyone help? I work for a training provider which has a carpeted computer training room approximately 60 foot by 60 foot which houses approximately 50 computers. Recently it has been brought to my attention that trainees and staff are receiving static electric shocks from metal items such as door handles etc. The carpet is short pile containing man made fibres. I have been advised by a carpet fitter to purchase pot plants to increase the humidity levels in the room. Does anybody have any experience of pot plants helping to reduce static electricity? Or can anyone offer other cost effective alternatives?
Admin  
#2 Posted : 02 October 2001 07:38:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jane Blunt Dear Douglas There is one relatively simple way of reducing the problem. The staff, as they are moving about are becoming electrically charged, and the carpet is a good insulator. They discharge themselves whenever they touch something that will accept the charge. If it is a good conductor, all the charge escapes very quickly, and they feel a shock. If it is a poor conductor (but not a good insulator), the effect is painless. The trick that I have adopted in the past was to put the palm of my hand on the wall before touching the door handle. The wall in question was brick, plaster and wallpaper. Whether this will work in the case you mention can only be discovered by experiment. Regards Jane
Admin  
#3 Posted : 02 October 2001 09:34:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor It would be worth checking the relative humidity as humidification can help. 'Static' builds up as people interact with the fabric of their environment and strip off electrons - eg by abrading carpets. The ways to combat the problem will also include: reducing the likelihood of static build-up (treat or replace the carpet, wear suitable footwear, etc); enabling constant discharge to earth (introduce conductive flooring, etc); and removing good conductors from body contact (use wooden furniture, etc). Jane's system does, of course, work if you remember to employ it! When I arrive in the morning I touch the metal car park gate firmly with the palm of my hand rather than gently with finger tips. This discharges the static rather than allowing the current to jump across to the minute distance to the metal as my finger approachs with shocking consequences.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 02 October 2001 10:49:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Webster Wow, man! Go for the pot plants - but check out your smoking policy.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 02 October 2001 13:03:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By peter gotch Douglas, Similar problems have been discussed on the old forum and are archived there. My own contribution.... We have a similar problem in 2 of our offices, which have nylon carpets and numerous PCs. We had a problem with infestation, with staff being bitten, but our contract cleaners were unable to trace the source of the insects, though gaps at floor edges seemed suspect. We arranged for the offices to be fumigated on several occasions, but the problem recurred during dry warm spells, and resulted in two staff being hospitalised as a result of bites becoming infected. (We reported 1 @ major injury and 1 @ 3 day injury to Glasgow City Council within 10 days of each other) When these events occurred, we called in Rentokil for a second opinion. Taking into account the amount of insecticides which had by this time been applied, the installation of an insecticutor, etc, Rentokil almost immediately diagnosed 'Cable Bug' which they have to deal with in two offices each week in Glasgow City Centre during such weather conditions. Environmental Health were also aware of this. What had been happening was that the nylon carpets were breaking down. With the build up of static, tiny non-conductive carpet fibres were becoming charged, and would be attracted to/near other non-conductive materials, particularly tights and other nylon clothing. These particles would travel at high speed and pierce the skin, with the sensation of an insect bite. All that was needed thereafter to result in serious injury was for the victim to scratch and infect the miniature wound. Pending major refurbishment of these areas, we currently have Rentokil treating the areas affected with antistatic treatments on a monthly basis. This involves the removal of all loose paper etc, and spray treating walls and all horizontal surfaces! Incidentally this risk is one that treats people of opposite sexes on an unequal basis, as a result of typically differing clothing. Pot plants would help but whether they will be sufficient to deal with your situation is questionable. Peter
Admin  
#6 Posted : 02 October 2001 14:52:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Johns In the late seventies I experienced an environment with a similar problem - full of metal cabinets, a handful of workstations, all on nylon 'scotchbright' type carpets. It was an old stone, georgian building, with metal switches and sockets and wall mounted metal trunking. The only ventilation and natural light coming from the roof lights(very poor). Colleagues daily received 'belts' off everything and anything. Eventually a solution was found a copperbraid wire was run underneath the cabinets and across the work area (a rubber protector strip was laid on top). The wire was earthed to the external fire escape. Unusual, very effective, but I'm not sure of the H&S implications these days. But it may well give someone an 'earthly' idea.
Admin  
#7 Posted : 02 October 2001 19:48:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert Woods Mist a fine covering of dilute fabric conditioner on the carpet and your problem will be solved honest it works. Don't forget to COSHH assess it first though. Hope this helps Robert Woods.
Admin  
#8 Posted : 03 October 2001 11:22:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Maggie Atterbury I have not tried Roberts solution but it sound good. I have tried in the past spraying carpets with water every morning from a small hand spray that you normally buy for plants. They only have to be damp not wet and it does increase the humidity. Plants will also help.
Admin  
#9 Posted : 03 October 2001 18:28:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Douglas oshea Thank you all for your great suggestions and help. I will try them out.
Admin  
#10 Posted : 07 October 2001 10:43:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stuart Nagle Assuming your computer training suite is in a 'newish' building, and there may be another floor covering beneath it, e.g. tiles, remove the carpet !! This should not distract from the rooms function and remove the problem without daily chores of: Plant attendance/watering - spraying water on carpets !! spaying slippery washing conditioners on carpets !! - installing copper vraidinging to all metal objects ect.... Stuart Nagle