Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 15 October 2001 16:35:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Martin Williams As our company receives a considerable amount of mail from overseas countries, can anyone suggest what security precautions can be taken to screen such mail against contamination by terror groups?
Admin  
#2 Posted : 15 October 2001 17:37:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Dowan If you go to this site you can see a copy of the home office document "Bombs Protecting people and property". This will give you loads of good advice and help you set up bomb threat procedures.I believe you can get a free hard cpoy from your local crime prevention office. Dave Dowan http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/oicd/bombs.pdf
Admin  
#3 Posted : 15 October 2001 17:42:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert Woods I am assuming that the threat you fear is from biological or chemical terrorism. I don't know your circumstances but I personally would say the risk is miniscule at the moment if you are a normal trading company, not FOX News, Microsoft, NBC, MI5, Tony Blair, or George Bush etc, or one of the people that works at the sorting office. If your are of this ilk then putting your email address on display was not a good move as you probably have more to fear from computer terrorism.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 16 October 2001 08:46:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Martin Williams Thanks for both these responses. I can confirm that we are not of the high profile companies mentioned. However, can someone in IOSH confirm whether e-mail addresses are accessible to others as I understood that they were not unlesswe provided them for reply
Admin  
#5 Posted : 16 October 2001 10:02:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jay Joshi The website, http://www.co-ordination.gov.uk acts as a central information source in an emergency. This New Co-ordination Centre website is run as a news and public information service by the Cabinet Office. It has got relevant "official" information and links to other useful resources.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 16 October 2001 10:40:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Diane Warne The Center for Disease Control (USA) has issued a paper on "How to handle anthrax threats" at http://www.bt.cdc.gov/Do...andle/10122001Handle.asp
Admin  
#7 Posted : 16 October 2001 21:41:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andrew Powell Martin, Your Email is not openly available but is accessible to any user of this site. Too late to do anything about it I fear, but you say you are not in a "high risk" group. Hopefully your company has appropriate virus software firewalls etc, that is pretty much all any of us can do. relate your concerns to your IT dept. regards
Admin  
#8 Posted : 17 October 2001 17:05:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Website Co-ordinator Hi Martin, You have full access and control over your own forum details and can change them any time. But that only applies to your own details. As is the case on most forums, your email address is visible but you have the choice to not reveal this. If you click on 'My details' in the right hand column of this page and scroll down, you will see where you can make changes. At the end, there is a button allowing you to choose whether or not you make your email address visible to others. Otherwise, only your name is visible to others. Your name at the top of your message is currently in blue underlined. This is the way of indicating a hyperlink on the website. In this case, clicking on your name will automatically open up an email with your address already inserted. If the name is black then the person has chosen not to reveal their email. Having visible emails enables people to contact individuals directly e.g. to request a copy of information offered by a response rather than publicly posting the request on the forum; to continue a conversation in private. The choice is yours. Regards, Angela Wheatcroft Website Co-ordinator
Admin  
#9 Posted : 21 October 2001 20:42:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By R.Woods Apologies for opening the email addresses can of worms no harm intended. Robert Woods
Admin  
#10 Posted : 22 October 2001 08:15:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mike McDonnell if its Anthrax you are concerned about, the web site www.phls/index.htm is well worth a visit. regards Mike Mcdonnell
Admin  
#11 Posted : 22 October 2001 08:19:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Martin Williams In would like to thank all who responded to this message - all the comments have been gratefully received. The information on the USPS and the Home Office websites were most useful. Personally, I would rather open a can of worms any day than anything more noxious. Thanks again, Martin