Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 22 October 2001 15:41:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andy Beveridge Can anyone give me pointers to where I can find info on how far away from overhead powerlines things should be? We receive deliveries by bulk tanker (flour), and this tanker has the ability to 'tip' by raising the tank at the cab end of the vehicle. Any help/guidance would be gratefully received. Many thanks. Andy
Admin  
#2 Posted : 22 October 2001 15:55:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Maddock When I was working in the rail sector some time ago, I believe the minimium distance one should be from an overhead power line was 2 metres. I'm sure I will be corrected on this, but I no longer work in the rail industry!
Admin  
#3 Posted : 22 October 2001 16:10:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Len Newman It all depends on the voltage, contact the local electricity suppllier who will attend the location. The height will be taken and the safe working height given, for example goal posts.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 22 October 2001 17:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Edward H Yes, definitely seek the advice of National Grid. Further guidance is available from the HSE either in a purchasable guidance note "Avoiding danger from overhead power lines" [GS 6 I think but not sure] or free advice targeted at agriculture which deals with tipping trailers etc. is available at http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/ais8.pdf
Admin  
#5 Posted : 22 October 2001 19:28:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Peter J Harvey The distance will depend on the voltage that is carried and you should seek advice from the Power Company or Railtrack for railway overhead conductors. GS 6 states as a note, the electricity supplier, having been consulted, may advise a safe separation distance greater than 6 metres, depending on the voltage. However I always work on the general rule, from the Construction Regs, which tend to deal with mobile plant, of 15 metres for lines on steel towers and 9 metres for lines on wooden pools. You may also want to earth the vehicle during the tipping if the load creates dust clouds.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 23 October 2001 08:02:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andy Beveridge Thank you to all who replied! Best regards Andy