Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 26 October 2001 14:33:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Richard Forster " the way we do things round here" So says HSG 65. Anybody else do any better? Thanks.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 26 October 2001 16:24:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Rory Reed My understanding of a safety culure would be "one which starts at the top and brings about a fundemental change in the behaviours and attitudes of everyone in the organisation; in doing so good practice becomes the normal and safety becomes the dominating and shared value".
Admin  
#3 Posted : 26 October 2001 17:09:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert Woods "A culture that promotes safety"! P.s I once saw Culture Club that bloke with the make up jigging around in coats that were too long didn't strike me as being that safe. Definately a trip hazard.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 29 October 2001 08:16:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nick Higginson Gents, Sorry to play devils advocate, but aren't these definitions of a positive culture, rather than a safety culture (which could be positive or negative)? Nick
Admin  
#5 Posted : 29 October 2001 11:48:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jack Richard, you mention HSG65 uses "the way we do things round here" but the page before quotes the definition from the ACSNI study group on human factors: "The safety culture of an organisation is the product of individual and group values, attitudes, perceptions, competencies and patterns of behaviour that determine the committment to, and the style and proficiency of, an organisation's health and safety management. Organisations with a positive safety culture are characterised by communications founded on mutual trust, by shared perceptions of the importance of safety and by confidence in the efficacy of preventive measures." So it even covers Nicks point; how are you Nick? Jack
Admin  
#6 Posted : 29 October 2001 15:32:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nick Higginson Jack, Not bad thanks. Starting to get a bit itchy about Part One exams in December, but I think I'll be ready. Where have you been? Nick