Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 26 October 2001 15:20:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Don Mason I am considering the carrying out of a Stress Survey in an attempt to size up the problem in my Authority. Mine is a Metropolitan Council with some 14,000 plus employees ranging from teaching staff, social workers, leisure, engineering, manual grades and everything in between. Anyone out there tackled a stress survey/audit with such an Authority? If so, are you able to provide me with some info or even details of a survey you have carried out. Its the old story of 'why re-invent the wheel' if someone has already been there, done it and perhaps got the T shirt to prove it. Don Mason ~~~~
Admin  
#2 Posted : 30 October 2001 08:51:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Maggie Atterbury There were a series of four books published about 12 years ago by the Cabinet Office on Managing Stress. They were aimed individually at Training Officers, Managers, Welfare Officers and a General one. They were very well written and contained excellent questionnaires. I bought them from HMSO when I worked for my previous employer, but of course I had to leave them behind when I moved on. Just a word of warning. Do be very careful how you frame questions on stress, as you may not get accurate answers and a true picture of stress levels in your organisation. Some people will underplay all symptoms etc. because they do not want to accept that they are stressed. Others will make the most of the opportunity. If completion of the questionnaire is optional, the really stressed may not bother to answer and you may only get the views of those who have some other axe to grind. Hope that this is helpful. Maggie Atterbury
Admin  
#3 Posted : 30 October 2001 10:18:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nick House The HSE have a range of books on the subject - from 'help on work related stress - a short guide' to 'managing occupational stress - a guide for managers and teachers in the schools sector'. They can be ordered at www.hse.gov.uk. You could also try contacting the International Stress Management Association (UK). Their address is PO Box 348, Waltham Cross, EN8 8ZL. Tel. 0700 0780 430. Hope this helps. Nick.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 30 October 2001 16:18:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Barry Wilkes Don, May be worth talking to Birmingham University (David Harrison) who have done a lot of work in this area. Regards Barry
Admin  
#5 Posted : 31 October 2001 13:59:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Don Mason Maggie, Nick, Barry, Many thanks for your help. Don ~~~~