Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 01 November 2001 09:16:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Carolyn Dark As the SHE Advisor for my section I have been approached by several people, who are unhappy about smoking in the office. The current policy is that those with their own office may smoke in there, otherwise there is a smoking room provided. Naturally it is the managers with their own offices and these are the ones the complaints have been made about. Other staff have now taken to using the offices as smoking rooms. Can anyone advise me how to best go about bringing up the subject with the managers.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 01 November 2001 09:24:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nick Higginson Carolyn, Don't know where you're based, but there is a seminar on implementing smoking policies in the workplace at the Birmingham Medical Institute on November 12th. It is organised by Birmingham Health, Safety and Environment Group. Regards, Nick
Admin  
#3 Posted : 01 November 2001 13:14:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor Circulate literature on passive smoking. Raise the subject at the Health and Safety Committee. Produce a generic risk assessment on passive smoking. Propose an amendment to the policy banning smoking in all workplaces where non-smokers are required to be present at any time. I wish you well.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 02 November 2001 09:35:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Laurie If someone has their own office, and wishes to smoke in there, what has it got to do with anybody else, unless the smoke is escaping, or meetings with non-smokers are held in there? I speak as a non-smoker whose immediate boss smokes. If she calls a meeting non-smokers who object simply ask for the meeting to held elsewhere. Laurie
Admin  
#5 Posted : 02 November 2001 11:36:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nick House Passive smoking at certain levels is considered to be hazardous although there is still much debate. Therefore, this should be included as part of the risk assessment in any indoor work areas where heavy smoking regularly takes place. The employer would not be expected to protect the health of the smoker (unless they are required to smoke tobacco as part of the work activity!). However, if non-smokers are being exposed to tobacco smoke against their wishes, a smoking policy should be considered. Hope this helps. Nick.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 02 November 2001 12:19:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Keith Archer. Carolyn, Have you carried out a fire risk assessment? The increased danger of a fire should be included for example: lighted cigarettes being left on desk edges, ash trays being emptied into waste paper bins that may have cigarettes in them that have not being properly extinguished. This could be used as an approached other than the ones already mentioned and may have a more positive impact on Managers that don’t acknowledge passive smoking as a problem. Insurance policies may reduce in a cigarette smoking free workplace. Good luck Keith.
Admin  
#7 Posted : 02 November 2001 14:49:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Maggie Atterbury I can't believe that there are still people out there who are not only having to fight this battle but also having to pursuade others gently to accept it. Smoking is a habit which not only puts the smoker at risk but also anyone else exposed to the smoke. There may be some debate about this but you only have to look at the level of compensation claims to realise that as a safety professional you have to take it seriously. If the company so wishes they can provide a smoking room that is not used for any other purpose. Otherwise you allow smoking at your peril - it is not acceptable for those with their own office to smoke there. Other people will inevitably have to enter those offices and every time the door opens the smoke will waft out. Don't forget cleaners and maintenance people who will also have to work in those rooms at various times. Finally remember the Workplace Regs which state that we must provide smoke free rest areas. Ken and Keith have given yoou very good advice - Good Luck
Admin  
#8 Posted : 03 November 2001 10:09:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By R.Woods Would you like info on forming a smoking policy? If so email me an address at bob@klyworksafe.fsnet.co.uk IOSH have a copy of a document on the subject they sent me a copy it was very good, im sure they'll let you have one. Robert Woods
Admin  
#9 Posted : 05 November 2001 17:03:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Rob Todd Once again that old chestnut but if we didn't have a voice of dissent we would be pretty boring. PASSIVE SMOKING IS A MYTH. The only full scientific survey carried out on the subject (not sponsored by A.S.H. the most fascistic group ever to exist with the possible exception of the Adolf and Benito), showed that there was no risk from the invented "passive" smoking. I'd like to see the so called risk assessment on this (by a non-medical person). I personally ensure that there is a smoking room for our staff and other places have been declared smoke-free however, if someone wants to smoke in the privacy of their own office who the hell are we to try and stop that. This is a democracy of free choice and in the confines of your own space, why should some busybody interfere. Ken - not worth going over old ground is it?
Admin  
#10 Posted : 06 November 2001 08:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor Hi Rob. I'm not against people smoking in their own offices - provided they are really theirs, they have self-closers on the doors, active air extraction and others do not have to go there as part of their work. It is, however, unrealistic and unfair to leave it to subordinates to object and have to ask for meetings elsewhere when called into their bosses' personal offices/smoking rooms. You will be aware of the arguments around 'volenti' and the constraints of employment. With best wishes, as ever.