Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 09 November 2001 11:43:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jim Evans
Are mechanically latched on/off switches on portable electrical tools such as grinders and drills allowed? The switches that latch 'on' and require the operator to actively switch off would seem to be more unsafe than say switches that turn the machine off when released as the tool is dropped or put down. PUWER seems unclear but reg. 15 or 16 may apply.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 12 November 2001 11:45:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Webster
I would have thought this one came down to risk assessment. Ask the "what if" question. Is anybody at risk if the operator looses grip of the machine? What safeguards are in place if the machine jams or snags? Try to imagine both the probable, and the just possible. Talk to users. They may have experiences of near misses.

About 20 years ago I was using a large, low speed power drill to bore a hole in steel work. The bit jammed. The drill continued to rotate in my hand and wrenched from my grip. The trigger had a locking button which became depressed as the handle twisted around, so the drill did not stop and wound the cable arould my arm, tying it to the drill. Only the quick reaction of a workmate in killing the power at the socket saved me from serious injury.

So I may be biased, but I will not use any power tool without an effective and non-bypassable "dead-man" mechanism unless there are other design features which will guarantee safety.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 12 November 2001 12:53:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jim Evans
John,
Thanks for the reply. I too have had bad experiences with big portable electric drills to the point where I will not allow their use on any job I am involved with unless fastened down somehow.
A risk assessment would show up the problems of latched switches, which is why I am surprised they are in common use. I was expecting a quick response to my question pointing me in the direction of specific regulation or manufacturers Acop , it would appear that I am wrong and no such regulation exists.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 12 November 2001 13:56:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Calum R Cameron Tech SP AIIRSM
As a general reponse I would have to say that without specific requirements in PUWER 98 the answer lies in HASAWA s2.2 where there is a requirement for an employer to provide safe plant.
Therefore, with this in mind, is the lockable trigger going to put the user at greater risk than a tool without a lockable trigger.
If the tool does not have a torque limiting clutch then the risk is likely to be higher on a tool with a locking trigger mechanism.
The financial implications of altering the trigger mechanism are probably minimal and therefore you would probably not be supplying plant which is safe (so far as is reasonably practicable)if it was supplied with locking triggers.
The results could be prosecution by the HSE and/or a civil case brought by the injued or mamed employee.
Hope this of assistance and please don`t hesitate to contact me if you want anymore assistance.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 15 November 2001 14:15:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jim Evans
Readers,

For your info.

'Safety of hand-held electric motor operated tools BS EN 50144.' Sec. 20.11.1 states...

'Where there is a risk associated with continued operation, the switch shall not have any locking device to lock it in the ON position and it shall not remain in the ON position when the trigger is released.'

Admin  
#6 Posted : 16 November 2001 17:03:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Kevin Minton
Jinm & other readers

There are other considerations:

The extract from the European Standard is not quite complete. Section 20.11.1 states:
"Where there is a risk associated with continued operation, the switch shall not have any locking device to lock it in the ON position and it shall not remain in the ON position when the trigger is released. This shall be stated in the relevant part 2".

I understand this to mean that where the technical committees identified this as a risk, they state so in the part that refers to specific requirements for that class of tool.

For drills, 50144-2-1:1999 is silent on this point. It specifies other means to limit excess torque.

For angle grinders, as far as I am aware, EN50144-2-3 is not yet published.

I recall that the old BS2769 part on angle grinders allowed lock-on switches on smaller grinders (up to 6" ?) but disallowed them on 9" and larger grinders.

Discussing this point with an experienced enforcement officer a few years ago, it became clear that recorded relevant accidents with angle grinders all involved the switch having been scotched - that is, permanently fixed in the ON position with tape.

The risks of operators cheating switches to ON is high because they get fatigued holding it on. The resultant risks then include no emergency stop in any form.

Inspection of bigger grinders from reputable maunfacturers show that they have switches easy to knock off. Their risk assessments have evidently pointed to this as the best overall solution.

I hope this adds to the debate!

Kevin Minton

Admin  
#7 Posted : 22 November 2001 10:20:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jim Evans
Kevin,

Thanks for the reply and it explains why I couldn't find the reference EN50144-2-3.

Anyway after some more digging,...

The Supply of Machinery (safety) Regulations 1992 sec.2.2
"In addition to the essential health and safety requirements set out in 1 above, portable hand-held and/or hand-guided machinery must conform to the following essential health and safety requirements:
- it must be designed, constructed or equipped to eliminate the risks of accidental starting and/or continued operation after the operator has released the handles. Equivalent steps must be taken if this requirement is not technically feasible;"

I would suggest that the problem of operators 'scotching' the switch is less these days due to the recognition of the risks of Reynaud's and other WRULD's and the need to reduce the time of use and therefore the risk of fatigue.