Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 16 November 2001 12:00:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Peter Rees Can anyone help? I need to assess two areas within my company for lighting levels:- 1. Warehouse distribution area where FLTs operate, and 2. Area that has operating machinery (and therefore operators) within it. The machinery here includes high-speed moving machinery and an industrial oven. Can anyone point me in the right direction as to what are the required lighting levels, and also how to measure them? I don't want to commission an expensive consultant (unless I have to) and wonder if there is anything that can be done to confirm whether we have a problem, or not.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 16 November 2001 12:44:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andrew Powell Peter, The Workplace Regs and PUWER both refer to HSG 38-lighting at work. Try phoning the HSE Infoline, perhaps they can advise you from HSG 38. Sorry, not much help, I do not have a copy myself. Regards Andrew
Admin  
#3 Posted : 16 November 2001 12:48:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mark Preston Get Lighting at Work http://www.hsebooks.co.uk/pub.html?pub=51 It will give you recommended levels and tell you how to measure them You will need an Illuminance meter You don't need to lay out much cash for one
Admin  
#4 Posted : 19 November 2001 07:34:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian stevenson I have just been dealing with this problem myself. Try the CIBSE website I found all the information I required for lighting inside and outside. If you have any problems I could fax you the information. Regards Ian
Admin  
#5 Posted : 19 November 2001 19:49:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Ridd Different references give slightly different values for the type of areas/work you describe; here are a few examples but there are plenty of others. (Note the HSG 38 qualification about adequacy for safety i.e. perhaps not necessarily adequate for quality)- values in lux: HSG38 - movement of people machines and vehicles in hazardous areas=Min 50; Ave 100 - work requiring perception of detail= Min 100; Ave 200 (adequate for safety purposes) Grandjean (Ergonomics text)Storeroom = 80-170 Moderately precise work = 250-300 RS Components:Warehouse storage bay = 100-150 Machine work = 500-700
Admin  
#6 Posted : 20 November 2001 08:44:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor I have tended to take the view that HSG38 is 'behind the times' and addresses minimum standards for safe immediate activity within work areas rather than giving standards for the good long-term visual heath of employees. Does any one agree and is there a need for a revision here?
Admin  
#7 Posted : 20 November 2001 17:25:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Adrian Watson Ken, You're quite right, the levels in HSG 38 are minimum acceptable levels. You should aim for the CIBSE guidelines. To measure general lighting levels, you should measure the average illuminance on the working plane (0.85 m above GL). To measure the average illuminace you should calculate the room index, exclude natural lighting, and measure lighting on a grid. The grid should not coinside with the lighting array, as your measurements will be too high. From the measurements you should also calculate the uniformity ratio (the ratio between the minimum and the average measurement) which should not be less than 0.8 Regards Adrian Watson LLM MSc Dip Occ Hyg FBIOH ROH FIOSH RSP MCIEH
Admin  
#8 Posted : 21 November 2001 08:36:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Peter Rees Adrian, Perhaps I was a little naive in thinking that it was a simple case of taking the illuminance reading and comparing that to the relevant table of data to decide whether the lighting levels were adequate, or not. Obviously, from your comments there is a little more involved by carrying out calculations and interpreting the results. Is there any simple method, or information that you/anyone else may be able to send me? Thanks for your help (and same to everyone else that has offered this poor, unsuspecting individual their advice).
Admin  
#9 Posted : 21 November 2001 09:15:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor As a quick 'rule of thumb'/non-survey reponse to "Is the lighting OK in here?", I would admit to walking around with a light meter at desk height and taking CIBSE figures as the guide. I find HSG38 something of an embarrassment/obstacle in these cases and would like to see it revised (or even scrapped).
Admin  
#10 Posted : 21 November 2001 14:20:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andy Beveridge Hi Peter, Perhaps you would like to drop me a line outside this forum, I have just been through much the same issues in my bakery! Best regards Andy andy.beveridge@davidpowellbaker.com
Admin  
#11 Posted : 22 November 2001 19:24:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Adrian Watson Contact me offchat on akwatson@netcomuk.co.uk with your fax and tel no ands I'll send you more info. Regards Adrian