Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 23 November 2001 11:23:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert Woods What level of First Aid provision should there be on construction sites. The HSE leaflet [INDG 214] says construction is high risk in general and that high risk activities require a qualified first aider for over five workers. HSG150 [Health and Safety in Construction] says that there should should be at least an appointed person and that an assessment should be made as to the risk of injury and ill health. Shouldn't the very fact that the HSE class construction as high risk which it undoubtably is [62 deaths in the first six months of y2k]mean that a fully qualified first aider on site would be a minimum requirement. Robert Woods
Admin  
#2 Posted : 23 November 2001 12:47:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert K Lewis The problem is that not all construction ooperations have the same levels of risk, eg carpet fitting v steel erection. The usual is to insist on at least one trained first aider for every 50 or so people, plus deputy, and around the 200 mark needs a full time first aider. Many management type contracts require each trade package to have at least on first aider and this can give ratios of around 1;20. In some areas the appointed person can be just as useful in preserving life until the ambulance arrives. Bob
Admin  
#3 Posted : 24 November 2001 11:28:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By R.Woods Sorry for not being specific enough. I am thinking of the actual building process and conversion work, not the touching finishes. My personal feelings are that when operatives are using sthil saws and nail guns there should be more than an appointed person present. Robert Woods
Admin  
#4 Posted : 26 November 2001 02:34:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Linda Kingston First aid is critical, however, a second certification in CPR is equally important. More than 1 worker should be qualified in both ares, in case he is the injured party. We have a workplace (construction) where everyone is trained. Usually done every 3 years for first aid and yearly for CPR. We work in teams of two.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 27 November 2001 09:19:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert K Lewis Linda is right to emphasise the need for cpr and I add the other two - Bleeding and conciousness. In most site situations the victim is often remote from the f/aider often 10 min is encountered in locating people and their actual presence at the scene. In an ideal world all personnel would have these basic life preservation skills. Carpet fitters have been known to cut open a thigh and if help is not immediate then little can be done. Some years ago a glazier benefitted from this when he walked past some glass near a tenants back door. It cut his ankle just above the shoe-cutting an artery. His mate saved his life with immediate action. The number of first aiders listed is good on paper but assess the realities of the individual site. Bob
Admin  
#6 Posted : 27 November 2001 13:41:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Richard Webber First Aid provision on construction sites is the responsibility of individual employers. The principal contractors duty is to ensure that only contractors who are competent undertake work on site. This involves selecting contractors that comply with all legislative requirements including First Aid provisions. It is not the legal responsibility of the Principal Contractor to supply First Aid cover for other employers staff and operatives. There is however a moral argument for the Principal Contractor to supply sufficient First Aid cover for everybody on site on the basis that many small contractors are not complying with the law. Am I being a little harsh on small contractors ?
Admin  
#7 Posted : 27 November 2001 14:48:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mike Charleston This posting is in response to Richard's comments. Yes, if that really is the line you take with small contractors, I think it is too hard. I do agree that First Aid provision on construction sites is the responsibility of individual employers but cannot agree that a small contractor who cannot keep a full time first aider on the site is necessarily less than competent. I also agree that it is not the legal responsibility of the Principal Contractor to supply First Aid cover for other employers staff and operatives, but want to emphasise the recognition you gave to a moral argument for the Principal Contractor to supply sufficient First Aid cover for everybody on site (but this is because of the practical aspects of lots of small contractors each having cover, rather than what you say about many small contractors not complying with the law). I believe that a harsh approach to small contractors is often the way of this world but that does not make it morally right. The PC should consider the practicalities of each case and if a contractor has 20+ people on the site, by all means push First Aid responsibility where it lies. Coversely, don't over-egg the situation by bringing competence into the same thought process and do place more moral emphasis on the need to have PC-provided First Aiders whenever a mix of small contractors are the only people on the site. I will assume that the PC has people onsite whenever subbies are working - in which case, the ideal answer is for those PC-people to be the First Aiders. If managed in this way, other First Aid provsion from the subbies is simply a welcome enhancement of the baseline cover. Mike
Admin  
#8 Posted : 27 November 2001 15:42:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Richard Webber Mike, I think that you have expressed the pragmatic approach to First Aid cover that many of us working in construction have traditionally employed. The only problem is that many small contractors blithely accept this position and do nothing at all to improve their standards of compliance. I therefore believe that during the selection process contractors should be quized about their ability to cope with the realities of work in an industry that kills and injures more people than most other industries. (I bet even your local shop has a First Aider or at least an appointed person) As for your comment that the lack of First Aid provision does not necessarily imply a lack of competence, I disagree strongly. Kind regards Richard
Admin  
#9 Posted : 28 November 2001 09:21:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert K Lewis I think the switch mentally between the 1 day Emergency Aid type provision and the 4 Day provision is eveident from both of the above replies. I really would like to see as many people as possible on site with EA training and the PC would provide some sort of facility on top where the site numbers justify, 150-200 being the likely figure. The 4 day first aider seems to be the norm but what is the reality of the risk assessment? Bob
Admin  
#10 Posted : 28 November 2001 11:18:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mike Charleston Bob I think you have hit the nail on the head - in my experience, the emphasis is always on "qualified First Aiders" and hardly ever do I become involved in discussions about the 1-day Emergency Aid provision. It would be beneficial, pragmatic and a lot more realisable to focus on small subbies providing people with EA training and back that up with the PC's 4-day First Aiders. This approach would be realistic despite any requirement that emerges from risk assessment, which would obviously raise standards to a higher level on a case-by-case basis. Mike