Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 29 November 2001 20:17:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Burns Can anybody tell me if there is any guidance on the length of time someone can use a microscope for detailed work, without a break.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 30 November 2001 11:00:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bryn Maidment Paul Nothing specific but treat them in the same way as DSE. Ergonomic assessment required and frequent breaks. BTW there are special chairs for this type of work - a sort of back to front arrangement - chest rest as opposed to a back rest. Will post details on Mon/Tues Bryn
Admin  
#3 Posted : 30 November 2001 13:42:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Alison Dando Also you need to consider the height of the work surface that your microscopes are to be placed/used. Our cytology screening benches in our Path. Lab. are lower than the standard lab. benches. This fits in with what Bryn has said with your adjustable seats because you shouldn't be using fixed height seats or workshop type seats with a fixed height work area. Also as you can get tenosynovitis from spreading petri dihes in microbiology labs., for years, consider the fine repetitive movements your screeners may be doing with their thumbs when moving the microscope stage and their body positions they take whilst screening- so look at little exercises your screeners can do, similar to those your VDU users should be doing if you employ any, as well as giving them breaks as Bryn has said.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 03 December 2001 13:28:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bryn Maidment Paul The chair I mentioned last week is available from Posturite on 01323 84 77 77 and is called the Capisco range. Better tell you though - although they work, they are expensive. As far as I'm aware they do allow trials.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 04 December 2001 13:23:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Graham Bullough In the apparent absence of specific guidance about the frequency of breaks when using microscopes, here's a tip I got as a geology student years ago when doing prolonged microscope work. Our lecturer advised us to get in the habit every few minutes of briefly looking out of the window or towards the other end of the room so that our eyes, or rather our eye muscles, didn't spend too long in one position while peering into our microscopes. This theme was echoed when I heard a talk some months ago by a jeweller. He said he preferred working at a bench by a window with a view so as to enable him to regularly look out of the window and give his eyes a rest from fine detailed work. He also found that such work was easier with plenty of natural light when it was available. As human eyes are not really intended for prolonged close work, the tip is worth promoting for all types of close work, including the use of VDUs, writing, sewing, etc. Graham Bullough
Admin  
#6 Posted : 07 December 2001 13:33:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Colan Ash Paul The Medical Devices Agency have published a document "Minimum ergonomic working standards for personnel engaged in the preparation, scanning & reporting of cervical screening slides" ref nos MDA/97/31 and an addenndum to this MDA/71/31S. Both of these cover guidance on work breaks & maybe of some use to you. Colan