Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 03 December 2001 23:41:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Tom Gorman I am undertaking research into the main Health & Safety issues currently affecting the Police Force in Britain, and would be grateful if anyone could post information with regard to relevant articles, websites and publications, which could help me with this task. Many thanks Forum Members for your anticipated help in this matter. Tom.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 04 December 2001 10:01:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert Woods Is there any chance of copies of the results of your research. I am applying for a post as senior health and officer for the local Constabulary. I already work closely with the organisation. I feel you may turn up issues nationally that are not raising their heads here. Good luck in your research and in the interview.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 04 December 2001 15:21:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave I am a Police Officer and a Health & Safety Rep in a London Police Station. In my experience, H&S issues, certainly at a local level, are pretty much the same as you would expect to find anywhere. The attitude of managers towards H&S is either to pretend I am not there or to issue veiled third-party threats towards my continued employment in my present post. Despite my offers to offer opinion at the early stages of any planning, it is invariably left until a workplace has been altered or an operational plan has been issued before I know of its existence and then, of course, the intrusion of the H&S angle is resented by the manager who is responsible for the plan. On the larger scale, I would imagine that the public disorder situations and planning for large State events offer the greatest differences and challenges for the H&S Professional, which in my opinion is both the H&S managers and the H&S Reps. If you wish to speak in greater detail, I would prefer to do it out of this chat and I believe my email address is available.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 04 December 2001 15:40:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Martin Gray The Police loss their Crown Immunity in 1997 when the Police (Health & Safety) Act 1997 was published. The Police Forces were given a years grace to impliment their health and safety policies etc, and have a plan of action. The Home Office issued to Police forces 4 manuals covering various issues including some generic risk assessments. These gave forces an idea of issues to be tackled. Forces then needed to develop their own specific risk assessments for their styles of work. The HSE have been conducting inspections of police forces. There are many areas that effect the police including some that you would not associate with policing but we must cover for the police officers safety. It was good to be in at the beginning and starting with a blank sheet. There is too much to go into in this forum. I can be contacted if you want detailed information (if permitted).
Admin  
#5 Posted : 08 December 2001 16:36:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By MAUREEN LAZENBY Hi Tom My first job in safety was with the British Transport Police (Civilian post)- moved on about 6 years ago. They at that time were working with the Home Office and other bodies to design and implement a safety management system. Also they at that time used the ISRS safety audit system. They have their own network of safety officers and likely still have a Head of Safety based in the London HQ. This would be interesting for you as in addition to normal police duties they will have to address safety on or near the railway line when undertaking their duties. Different angle for you to look at perhaps. No numbers - long time ago. They would, I am sure, be pleased to assist you if you made an enquiry at your local railway police station.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 10 December 2001 15:33:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Diane Warne Perhaps the Scarman Centre here at Leicester could help you: http://www.le.ac.uk/scarman/ They do research on various issues to do with Police work.