Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 04 December 2001 08:49:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Laurie Did anyone else watch the H&S drama on television last night? Absolutely fascinating stuff - should be part of an IOSH syllabus! However, I hope there was a bit of poetic licence. One character quoted an authority which said that where an H&S officer was appointed he/she was responsible even if the Managing Director had told him/her not to take some required H&S action. That sounds pretty scary! Laurie
Admin  
#2 Posted : 04 December 2001 11:02:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Martin J Morley I was surprised to see this unfold, so closely after the Simon Jones case verdict. The TV companies usually reschedule 'sensitive' programmes. I fear (hope?) that there was a large measure of artistic licence in the actual script. There seemed to be a significant sub-plot about the political pressures to stop the case - was this the real message of the programme? Perhaps it will spark further discussion about the need for revised law on corporate killing. martin j morley
Admin  
#3 Posted : 04 December 2001 11:15:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ashley Williams To be honest I thought the BBC were possibly making a point about the Simon Jones case?? Whos says Auntie isnt political!! It was nice to actually find something on the BBC I wanted to watch, and was factually correct. So i have to applaud them for the subject and handling of the subject. If anyone has a copy on tape, i would appreciate it if they could lend me it or copy it for me? e-mails at top in blue Thanks Ashley
Admin  
#4 Posted : 04 December 2001 12:35:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andrew Powell Hi Laurie, Can you give us the name of this documentary and confirm if it was a one off episode please. Thanks Andrew
Admin  
#5 Posted : 04 December 2001 12:39:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ashley Williams Andrew, It wasnt a doumentry it is infact part of the BBC's winter Drama schedule and is called Judge John Deed. It will be a regular fature of Sunday night telly for the coming weeks. Hope this helps Ashley
Admin  
#6 Posted : 04 December 2001 12:42:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andrew Powell Thanks Ashley, I will watch for the repeat if any. Andrew
Admin  
#7 Posted : 04 December 2001 13:26:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Arran Linton - Smith This had film has track-workers working without any PTS training. Agencies insisting that their employees pay for their own PTS and lookout training and that these employees have to provide their own PPE. Agency workers with green jackets, Sleepers being dragged over live roads, Trackside work being undertaken without a possession, a PICOP or lookout. The only Health and Safety issue which was clearly raised in this film was wither you could have a clocking on clock in the mess area or not. The inevitable happened in which one of the gang was killed by a passing train and he was carried away from the track and onto a road, in order that there was no rail investigation. I enjoyed this film as this appeared to have hidden message.