Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 05 December 2001 12:11:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Con.. Every week I test the fire bells by setting off the alarm for 5 seconds. Now I want to test different alarm sensors throughout the building - a different sensor each week. Is their any Item on the market which creats small volumes of smoke which would set off an alarm from the sensor. Something like an aerosol can which can one can regulate an amount of smoke over a few seconds to activate the sensor/alarm?
Admin  
#2 Posted : 05 December 2001 13:23:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By D Swanson RS Components supply aerosol manufactured by "No Smoke" or something like that called "smoke dispenser".
Admin  
#3 Posted : 05 December 2001 15:23:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Con.. THanks for that response - I'm based in Ireland and havn't hear of RS components ......... I was wondering if you have any more details on them .i.e. address, No., web page, etc. Thanking you in advance.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 05 December 2001 22:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Westhead Con, Do you have the system serviced? If so the company that service your system should test the individual sensor heads with "smoke testers". If you want to test them on a more regular basis you could ask them to sell you a tester. Dave.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 06 December 2001 08:55:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor Testing a different call-point each week at a set time is the more usual arrangement. The fire journals sometimes carry adverts for devices to check automatic fire detectors. You could try asking the Fire Protection Association for some names or your fire equipment supplier.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 06 December 2001 22:16:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Westhead Ken, I'm sorry for any confusion but I thought Con was talking about smoke/heat sensors. The call points can be tested with a simple plastic key. The company that service the fire alarm system where I work test the sensors every couple of months and we test the whole system weekly, we also test the call points at the same time. The problem that we have is that a lot of the heat/smoke sensors are situated approx 20ft high, the company test these with the aid of smoke/heat testers on teliscopic poles. Dave.
Admin  
#7 Posted : 06 December 2001 22:48:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor I know he is talking about wanting to test his automatic fire detectors weekly (whether heat, smoke, or whatever type). I was trying to say that most of us confine our weekly tests to the call-points and leave the 'fire company' to test the detectors when they visit. However, for the keen among us (like Con), you can get test equipment to use yourself (even on long poles!)
Admin  
#8 Posted : 07 December 2001 11:50:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ray Mitchell Having just had one of our smoke detectors tested the product used was a tester manufactured by "No Climb Products " Tel 01814493391.This can was attached to a dedicated extesile pole with the name "solo"on it and the product code 0300-001. The testing was done by our maintenance contractor