Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 06 December 2001 14:22:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bryn Maidment
OH Joy!!The things we get involved in!

Have a problem with drug addicts using our public toilets (in a large acute hospital)and discarding the syringes. The obvious ones left lying around can be picked up by the cleaners, wearing stout leather gloves, and be disposed into a sharps bin. Recently however, some have been placed into the black bag and a couple of cleaners have had needlesticks to thir legs.All staff have been trained and are aware of the problem and how to deal with it.

Now here's the request! I am keen to implement a much more robust approach to this and have previously heard of a company that produces a UV (?) light that apparently renders the area unuseable by addicts. Something to do with not being able to see the veins/arteries to shoot up.
Anyone heard of or know of this product / company.

Another option is to 'accept' the use of the toilet but put a polite notice up together with a high level sharps bin on the wall (well I can but try!)

Any comments from people with the same problem - drug addicts, NOT drug taking!!

Thanks

Bryn
Admin  
#2 Posted : 06 December 2001 22:09:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Craythorne
Bryn,

Don't know the name of the company that supplies the UV lights but I have seen them in action. They have been installed in the railway stations in Wigan. Perhaps if you telephoned the station they may be able to tell you where to source them.

There is also some useful guidance on needlestick injuries that I recall from my days in Environmental Health. Try your Local Authority Environmental Health Department Health& Safety section.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Paul
Admin  
#3 Posted : 07 December 2001 08:17:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Tony Overbury
Bryn

I run a team that collects he needles/syringes and other detritus left by vagrants and drug-abusers. I'd be quite happy to swap ideas if you want to give me a ring on 020 7679 6953. We've also got one toilet that has blue lights installed & I'll try to find some details.

Hope this helps.

Tony Overbury
Admin  
#4 Posted : 07 December 2001 10:59:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bryn Maidment
Thanks for the responses. I was starting to think I was hallucinating about a company providing UV/blue lights but they are for real.I'll carry on with my hash pipe!!

Tony, thanks for the idea of the clear bags!
Just goes to show that you can get too close to the problem and miss the obvious.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 07 December 2001 11:38:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert K Lewis
Bryn
Safeway, notably Sheffield outlet, are using this system. I have my doubts about the effects on some innocent persons as the light is disturbing to older people I feel.

I also had problem with bodybuilders and steroids. Also I am amazed that they are wasting a syringe by leaving it behind as most users don't discard them until the syringe is totally defunct. Is the security in the hospital up to the mark

Bob
Admin  
#6 Posted : 07 December 2001 12:53:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Peter J Harvey
Bryn,

This is an area that I have been involved in for several months now and still find I turn a new corner each day and find more information.

I have seen needle bins in several toilet areas, however the tendancy is to mount them out of normal view (bad PR) and consequently they are not used. However I have seen in the last week small sharps bins in individual cubicles which I felt was a good idea.

You might also like to consider how you maintain these areas, maintenance staff must be made aware of the risks. It is common for addicts to use areas like the top of doors, toilet roll holders, behind toilets or even inside cisterns to hide needles, be very careful if the toilets become blocked.

The real problem, in my opinion is the abundance of clean needle schemes that give the things out with wanting an old one back in exchange.

The following documents are good background reading:

Unison Health and Safety - information sheet needlestick injuries.

Hazards 2000 - The Sharp End

I would be most interested to know about these lights and "where they are used".

Peter Harvey
Admin  
#7 Posted : 07 December 2001 13:32:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Francis MSc MIOSH RSP
Another point to consider is the malicious disposing of them- I have come across cases where discarded needles were either stuck in chair cushions or taped out of view to catch the wary!- a possible result of trying to put them off shooting up? Surely the gloves which can protect from needles need considering?
Admin  
#8 Posted : 07 December 2001 14:41:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bryn Maidment
Thanks again for the response.
Just to clarify a little - I didn't cover all aspects of how we are dealing with the problem, in order to keep the post to a reasonable length.

The cleaners in the public loos are trained to deal with the obvious flotsam & jetsam of drug abuse as well as the hidden problems - blocked toilets (twice before), blocked drains (twice before), behind cisterns etc.

Their training covers PPE - kevlar/leather gloves, litterpickers (ok, not strictly ppe); personal hygiene; OH stuff - hep B jabs, triple therapy (if required); violence and aggression - disturbing crackheads ........and a number of other cleaning related issues.

I also have numerous pieces of guidance on sharps/needlesticks etc.

Something I omitted from the first post was that I actually had the details of the company who provides the UV lights...but lost them much to my embarassment.

Via this thread, e.mails and phone calls I've got a good idea of some other ideas to try out but a big thank you again for responding. I'll post the details of the UV company (if successful in finding them) next week but if anyone does come up with it in the meantime please let me know.

Regards

Bryn