Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 05 January 2002 11:04:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Haywood
Having tried various websites and sending various mails to HSE (without a response) I'm hoping this forum might help me out.
Would the use of/ monitoring of CCTV come under DSE/VDU legislation.
The equipment is used habitually (daily) and during the day, sometimes for over an hour (though not always) but IS used almost constantly throughout the weekends and during the night.
If memory serves,the only thing in DSE which might suggest CCTV inclusion is 'graphical images'.
Your opinions ore factual arguments are much appreciated.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 05 January 2002 13:20:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Leadbetter
John
According to the HSE guidance L26 (page 5 para 6), screens used mainly to show television or film pictures are not included in the definition of display screen equipment.

Regards

Paul Leadbetter
Admin  
#3 Posted : 05 January 2002 15:04:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Haywood
Cannot seem to find 'L26' could you post a link?
The main reason for my initial query was because security control rooms and a lot of 'gtehouses' now have CCTV monitors installed, often at ridiculous heights, some at ceiling height, which requires the head to be tilted up at over 45 degrees.
I am concerned that the trend is increasing and am looking for a way in which to halt it - hence the need to find some legislation or best practise under H & S.
Thank you for taking the time to responde though, much apreciated!
Admin  
#4 Posted : 05 January 2002 19:41:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Leadbetter
John

L26 is a priced publication and so it is not directly available on the Internet but you may be able to get a copy through HSE Direct (but I don't have a web address, I'm afraid). However, even where the DSE Regs do not apply, risk assessments must still be done (under the Management Regs) and the workstation layout you have described may be judged to be a risk to employees' health and safety. Where that is the case, suitable steps should be taken to reduce the risk.

I hope this helps

Paul Leadbetter
Admin  
#5 Posted : 06 January 2002 15:28:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Haywood
Thank you for clarifying that Paul, I was initially confused there because in DSE it states 'a display screen usually forming part of a computer...showing text numbers or graphics... covers cathode ray (TV) screens'. However it is clear from your comment 'film or video images'that it cannot be possibly misconstrued. I will be sending for the publication you mention as it is critical to my assessment of the working conditions.
As an aside, I will be contacting the HSE again, as I feel that under both regulations/guidance there is still a need for 'extended periods of concentration' proper workspace management, seating and posture requirements etc. In fact the only discernable differences I can think of are the RSI risks through using a keyoard/mouse.
A lot of the newer CCTV systems do in fact use computers to display digital'graphics' or 'images', though this is more prevailant through the use of remote CCTV monitoring where digital graphical images are seen. I think there is a argument here for the fact that there is no 'photographic process' so the images are neither 'film' nor 'video images' - they are digital images displayed on a 'monitor' as part of a computer.
Your thoughts appreciated.
Have taken on board your comments and natuarally, whatever the merits of my argument, agree that a full risk assessment should be done.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 07 January 2002 10:44:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Ridd
I have been asked a similar question because the control room staff felt they needed eye tests and glasses, but the employers refused on the basis discussed in the previous messages. However, the requirement for an assessment is clearly there, and you have already identified risks - in my view this requires the employer to take action - so far as is reasonably practicable.

Provision of a suitably (ergonomically) designed control panel with screens at appropirate heights/distances/angles does not seem an unreasonable requirement for workers spending so long in front of screens; although, it must be said, that the expense of changing things might be substantial (and possibly said to be 'not reasonably practicable').

In the case I dealt with, the staff also had to operate touch screens and input text on some of the monitors in front of them and so a sound argument for coming within the DSE Regs could be made. Much of their problem was in fact caused by the overhead lighting reflecting in the screens preventing them from seeing properly what they were employed to do!! (The lighting, for what it's worth, was Cat 2 .)

Bad back and neck postures are also a significant problem and suitable seating ought to be a 'must', but do get some proper advice before purchasing - there's a lot of rubbish talked about chairs and the supposed advantages of different features.
Admin  
#7 Posted : 07 January 2002 14:52:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Haywood
Thank you for your input, much appreciated.
Agree entirely with your comments and train of thought!
I suppose an additional argument could be that most CCTV systems employ 'time stamping' on the screens and this could be inerpreted as 'text' so therefore the screens automaticaly come within VDU/DSE regulations - though I feel this would be pushing a point to the extreme.
Your point about the cost of changing a control room layout not being 'reasonably practicable' is sound and I concur with your view. However, I think there is a case to bring before the HSE, LA's, HELA etc that all NEW Control rooms or area's where CCTV is employed should come within the remit of VDU/DSE working regs and indeed that any guidance/best practice information leaflets etc issued for the use of CCTV should include that every effort should be made to ensure instalations conform to DSE.
Admin  
#8 Posted : 07 January 2002 15:10:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nick Higginson
John,

The Workplace (Health, Safety & Welfare) Regs 1992 also lay down requirements with regards to workstations and seating.

Regards,

Nick
Admin  
#9 Posted : 07 January 2002 16:00:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ashley Williams
As its in the public domain I can let you have an e-mail address for the one of the people in the HSE who is looking at the proposed ammendments to the DSE Regs.

Try contacting nigel.watson@hse.gsi.gov.uk. From reading the consultative document it would appear that they are heading towards accepting that CCTV monitoring systems are DES workstations

Ashley
Admin  
#10 Posted : 08 January 2002 10:27:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By T. Fowler
John

My advice would be to avoid using the DSE Regs as your primary focus. For me the Workplace Regs, PUWER and the PPE Regs applied alongside the general requirements of the Management Regs are more than adequate and the DSE Regs are unnecessary and clumsy.

Why we still have them I do not know. The Abrasive Wheels Regs have been rovolked and their general requirements made under PUWER. The same thing could have been done for DSE.

You may know that the HSE have just issued their proposals for the Health and Safety (Miscellaneous Ammendments) Regs. These ammendments include changes to the DSE Regs that try to get over the vexed question of who is and is not a 'user' by requiring all workstations to be adequate. A move in the right direction but, in my opinion, cosmetic surgery to improve the lot of a very sick piece of legislation.

You are not the first to struggle with the question of who is and who is not a 'user'. My approach is to take a very conservative line so that we don't get onto the slippery slope of buying glasses for everyone, whilst at the same time ensuring that ALL workstations and working arrangements of people using them are adequate.

Best of luck

Tony
Admin  
#11 Posted : 09 January 2002 19:29:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nigel Singleton BSc
To look at the subject from a completely different angle, DSE equipment is classified under PUWER 'introduction note 2 - PUWER 98 applies to the use of all work equipment'.

Regulation 17(2) ' Except where necessary, the employer shall ensure that no control for work equipment is in a position where any person operating the equipment is exposed to a risk to his health & safety'.

O.K. It may be pushing it a bit, but a CCTV is work equipment, the control would therefore include the display as this is the means of operating it!

By having the display at anything other than eye line would be putting it in a position likely to cause a risk to the operators health & safety?
Admin  
#12 Posted : 09 January 2002 22:23:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Haywood
Thanks for all your input.
Based on what I have read in this forum, I shall be reading the regs mentioned. I have to confess to not knowing about PUWER regs until it was mentioned here - so what chance has your average employee got of knowing his/her rights?
I will still keep monitoring this thread for additional comments but, once again, thank you all for your help!