Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 05 January 2002 20:19:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By STEVE Hi Does anybody know of any information regarding the speed it would take for a porta-cabin to burn down. I have was given this advice ages ago and can not remember the information now that I need it or where to obtain it. I have asked the supplier of the PORTA-CABIN but they would not give me any idea. I feel that there is a issue with porta-cabins as some are supplied with fire-extinguishers and some are not. Due to what they are made of should not all porta-cabins require them. I recently did a housekeeping inspection on some and was shocked at what I had found. 1=Clothing on portable heaters 2=Smoking had taken place due to cig-ends on floor. 3=Cooking equipment overloading sockets. 4= Storage of flammable aerosols in cupboards 5= No fire extinguisher in place Because of what porta-cabins are made of and their poor construction,with the added risks of flammable materials that are found in the cabins(papers,foam back chairs etc)I feel that in a worst scenario these cabins could become fatal. I am looking for some legislation,statistics or advice that would help my findings when I present them at the Safety Committee. Any help or guidance most welcome.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 06 January 2002 15:44:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Haywood Not my field but.. a) It is evident that there is a risk so provide a fire extinguisher (suitable for fat and electrical fires)and training. b). A Health & Safety Policy should preclude people from putting clothing on heaters (usually electric) and a wire mesh 'guard' should be fitted to prevent clothing from being within a combustble distance. Also preclude the use of smoking within cabin - though you may have to provide a 'smoking area' elsewhere. c) Storage of flammable aerosols would be better in a seperate steel locker 'outside'. d) With regard to overloaded sockets, most cabins are supplied with an electrical or gas cooker, where this is not so, prohibit the use of multiway connectors and check the rating of 'trip' switches. Someone will no doubt be along shortly to give specific legislative support but my comments are meant purely as 'common sense'. 3.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 07 January 2002 09:02:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Richard Be careful everybody - I think Portacabin may be a trademark! Richard
Admin  
#4 Posted : 07 January 2002 17:32:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor If you are interested in experiences of fires in this type of building, you could try asking on the FireNet Forum (http://www.globalcrisiscenter.com/BBSFire/index.php).
Admin  
#5 Posted : 07 January 2002 17:41:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Murphy We have buidlings of this type of design at our Civic Centre and at one of our amenity sites. The Civic Centre ones are covered by our fire certificate and a recent extention to the amenity site was inspected by the Fire Brigade with no problems. For peace of mind about their suitability talk to your Fire Brigade Fire Prevention Officer. S/He will advise.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 08 January 2002 07:59:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nick Higginson STeve, Has a fire risk assessment been carried out, and what were the findings? Nick
Admin  
#7 Posted : 08 January 2002 21:48:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Martyn Hendrie From your initial message it is not clear whether you are looking for a temporary office/welfare facility with a suitable fire rating, or to find justification to condemn an existing portable building. However, I hope that the following helps. Following the introduction of an insurance & construction industry code of practice (The Joint Code of Practice for Fire Prevention on Construction Sites) some years ago, a number of temporary office/welfare cabins are now available with 30 minute fire rating. I am surprised that an reputable company that makes or hires this type of equipment would not/ or was unable to tell you the rating of a particular type of cabin. HSE guidance on Fire Safety in Construction Work (HSG 168) {ISBN 0-7176-1332-1} may also help with details of precautions to be taken relating to temporary buildings.