Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 21 January 2002 16:09:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By john ridley Hi Just a quick one guys. We currently allow some of our employees to have an allowance to buy their own car. This is then sometimes used for certain business activities although to be frank this is usually at low frequency rates. The question is this; who is then responsible for ensuring the vehicle insurance covers what is usually referred to as "for business reasons"? Thanks for your input
Admin  
#2 Posted : 21 January 2002 16:23:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jack The driver is responsible for the insurance (and would be prosecuted for not having the appropriate insurance). However, the employer is responsible for ensuring that the employee has the correct insurance (& licence & vehicle roadworthy) if it is used on employers business. In my view this means checking the insurance.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 27 February 2002 09:30:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Scott I agree with Jack! He did mention also that the vehicle is roadworthy! You must therefore check that the car is serviced regularly as when used for work purposes it is work equipment and therefore subject to PUWER Reg 5.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 27 February 2002 16:01:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Phil Roberts John, For tax and suitability for home purposes I use my own car for business use and insure it my self. I have to supply photocopies of my insurance certificate, which covers me for business use, MOT cetificate and service book to my mnanager on an annual basis. I am paid a milage allowance that covers all of the expence of running the car but not for buying it. Regards Phil Roberts
Admin  
#5 Posted : 01 March 2002 16:18:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mike When cars are used for personal transport (surely 99.9% of the time) PUWER does not apply. It must be the experience of most people in this position of requiring Class 1 business insurance that they use their cars for travelling from one site to another or around sites, within their working hours. They do not generally use their private vehicles as dumper trucks or lifting equipment (mobile equipment under PUWER). Employers checking insurance certificates, service records etc. of privately owned vehicles is sensible practice, particularly for new employees, but since all liability rests with the employee it is just the employer's choice to do this. Nothing compels them to do it. My major public sector employer requires me to sign a declaration that I have business insurance as a condition of receiving a mileage allowance. That is as far as it goes.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 01 March 2002 21:53:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David J Bristow Hi John It may worth noting that there are two types of business class - No1 - is for normal/domestic pleasure including personal business work e.g. people getting to and from work and using the car in connection with their business - No2 - is were the person/emploeyee may carry other empolyees and or samples in connection with their business!- there is a difference! Our company have a policy that they pay the difference in premiums between the normal levy and the extra! As for who is resonsible - it would lay on the employee to ensure that proper insurance is undertaken and also on the employer to ensure that adequate cover is in place 50-50! Hope this helps. Regards David B
Admin  
#7 Posted : 04 March 2002 16:54:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Brian Dawson Mike says that 'but since all liability rests with the employee it is just the employer's choice to do this'. That may possibly be argued as far as insurance goes although my organisation checks this (on my advice) because if a driver was not insured an injured person would probably make a claim against the employer and it may well succeed. However, the employer is clearly required to ensure driver is competent if driving in course of employment and the vehicle is roadworthy. (Why should driving a car be different from using a chain saw?) I seem to recall a case under S 2(2)(a) where a major national employer was prosecuted for not having a proper system that ensured private vehicle used by employees are roadworthy, the driver competent and qualified to drive, and the vehicle insured (this is from memory so no doubt someone will confirm or otherwise).
Admin  
#8 Posted : 04 March 2002 18:36:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mike Brian This shows how important it is to get a definitive answer from your insurers rather than the forum! In my case my insurer has already agreed that it will not try to recover costs from my employer in the event of an accident (my employer obtained the declaration). If I fall uninsured through my negligence, say unroadworthy vehicle, the law must take its course with me and I suppose the Motor Insurance Bureau procedure applies to compensate any third parties. Incidentally a previous correspondent excluded cover for employee passengers from Class 1 business cover. I have class 1 insurance and such passengers are definitely covered at least in my car. If they are injured during working hours in my car they must claim against my policy, not my employer's. Again a specific declaration has been obtained to this effect from all insurers with very few exceptions. This may partly explain the more relaxed attitude of my employer, compared to some correspondents!
Admin  
#9 Posted : 05 March 2002 11:43:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Richard Does not vicarious liability come into this in some way, or have I got hold of the wrong end of the stick? Richard