Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 06 February 2002 11:18:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Proudfoot
I have been asked specify requirements for a facility measuring 6m x 6m x 3.5m where a process will be carried out involving the use of chemicals containing isopropyls. The facility needs to be kept at a temperature between the range of 15 to 40 degrees. It is envisaged that there will be 1 operator in the facility for a maximum period of 5 hours per shift. I have the appropriate MSDS for the products concerned. If anyone has any experience of similar design recommendations, I would be grateful of your assistance.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 06 February 2002 16:47:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mark Preston
There's not enough detail here to make any recommendations - (e.g. isopropyl what?) however this does look like the sort of job that was made for HSE's excellent COSHH Essentials - Easy steps to control chemicals isbn 07176 24218 £25.00 available from all good bookstores
Admin  
#3 Posted : 07 February 2002 23:10:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By fred tubb
I agree with mark, isopropyl what. We all must understand the substance correctly and then find out the rules of engagement . I used to work in and around isopropyl nitrate, and it was great stuff as long as we respected the the rules for deaaling with it. Mark mentioned COSSH, so in addition look at the the confined space entry rules and extra precautions you may need. Standby teams etc, additional fire precautions. Air movers whilst job is gowing on. BUT if in any doubt CHECK, don,t go ahead. Talk to us, your local HSE, the brigade, other companies. sorry to seem forceful, but in my past i was a firefighter before I moved to safety and have seem too much probably. regards fred
Admin  
#4 Posted : 08 February 2002 09:26:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Proudfoot
Thank you Gents for your responses. I agree that I should have been a bit more descriptive with the isopropyl! I have received the MSDS from the manufacturer and it consists of predominately Propan-2-ol and in smaller amounts, trimethoxysilane (the chemical symbols are F/Xi, Xn/N & Xi). After studying the MSDS and bearing in mind the expected work conditions (heat etc), it appears that my main considerations would revolve around the suitable extraction of the fume from the facility in order to reduce the risk of fire/explosion from fume build up. I may then need to involve environmental agency to advise of exactly what we be exhausted ! If you have any experience of suitable systems and areas, I would appreciate your advice