Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 06 February 2002 21:52:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Graham Sargeant One of the operations I have become involved in at work is the supply fo scaffolders to both construction sites and also domestic sites. We have come across some confusion with the level of competence required by the scaffolders on sites in particular. Some sites are asking for all operatives to have a CITB training qualification, and some sites don't seem to care. At the moment we use an assessment of risk to decide who we send to which site/job. Can anyone confirm if there is a legal requirement that we should be applying in this situation and does this also apply to non-construction site jobs? Thanks for your help
Admin  
#2 Posted : 07 February 2002 08:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert K Lewis Graham I am not sure what you are asking here. The CHSW Regs apply to all construction work - This is not dependent on whether it is a "domestic" job or not. The requirement on all employers is to ensure that staff are competent to do the work required of them and the CITB scaffolders courses are among the best ways of demonstrating a degree of competence. Are you really implying that you send out untrained persons to erect a scaffold because it is someone's home?!! I trust not. I do recognise however that the current emphasis on some of these passport schemes has led to a great deal of confusion. The SHP this month raised this issue in the readers forum. I have found myself as a FIOSH RSP faced with a demand that I have a CSCS card to show my safety competence!! This was by a major company. Put aside the problem that a CSCS card does not show safety competence merely that a test was passed at a certain time, which is the problem of most training.