Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 12 February 2002 20:56:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jason McQueen
Can anybody point me in the right direction concerning working in extreme temperatures. The situation is that we have staff members who routinely work in temperatures aproaching -35o for approx 90 minutes in any one working day. Recently a situation developed where management was threatening disciplinery procedures due these workers taking 30 minutes for a 'warm up' period. Most of the literature that I've studied recommends that these breaks be allowed but I was wondering if there was anything that went into a little more detail in terms of recommendations for maximum time to temperature exposures and recovery periods. Many thanks
Admin  
#2 Posted : 13 February 2002 10:20:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mark Preston
There was a thread on this subject two or three weeks ago - try searching on "temperature" over the last month in the OSH chat forum. Search link is up on your right
Admin  
#3 Posted : 13 February 2002 11:28:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ron Young
Perhaps a telephone call to the HSE would produce a definitive answer
Admin  
#4 Posted : 13 February 2002 16:40:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Brian Dawson
The British Meat Manufacturers Association (BMMA) Guidance Notes 42 and 42A cover this but I've not seen them.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 14 February 2002 23:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nigel Singleton BSc
Try inernational standards document ISO 11399:1995 Ergonomics of the thermal environment - Principles and application of relevant International Standards