Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 21 February 2002 14:08:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Scott Murdoch Can any one please advice where I can find confirmation as to the legal requirements for F.L.T. Eg Daily checks / equipment required at charger area ect ect regards . Scott murdoch
Admin  
#2 Posted : 21 February 2002 14:53:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bob Matthews Scott, Try looking in Forklift Truck Guidance book (The red one) available from HSE. Also LOLER regs Bob
Admin  
#3 Posted : 22 February 2002 08:25:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Chris Pollington Hi Scott, I think Bob is refering to HSG6 that used to be red but has been re-printed since. It is however a good book to use for truck related safety, it also contains a list of other useful publications that are relevent. Chris.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 22 February 2002 12:57:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Neal Robertson Another useful guide is L117 - Rider Operated Lift Trucks: Operator Training ACOP & Guidance (ISBN 0-7176-2455-2) £5 from HSE books. Guidance note PM28 Working Platforms on Fork-lift trucks may also be useful.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 22 February 2002 19:19:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt Client visited from EHO - advised that FLT operatives must wear seat belts. The site is a fairly level builders yard and potholes are filled as they occur. ACOP mentions seat belts 'where supplied' should be worn. Problem - drivers are in and out of the FLTs like yoyo's. Taxi drivers have an exemption on road as do the police and other emergency services. Is it realistic for FLT drivers in these circumstances to wear belts? Are there any exemptions for them? Following later discussion with the EHO the alternatives were Concreting the entire builders yard (accepted not possible because of size/cost but mainly because of flooding to nearby domestic premises)OR If the drivers didn't wear seatbelts they would have to sign forms indicating they knew the dangers of not wearing them. I'm not at all happy with this last statement - has anybody come across anything similar? Geoff
Admin  
#6 Posted : 23 February 2002 15:59:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Peter J Harvey Scott, I had the same problem with drivers not wanting to wear seat belts, but in the end I did not give them the option. Once they got into the habit it was not that hard. Remember the HSE enforce this for a reason, the number of deaths each year, especially where trucks turn over. As for the disclaimer........not worth the time or paper its printed on. Remember there are numerous types of FLT, many can operate safely on rough terraine.
Admin  
#7 Posted : 06 March 2002 22:56:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Haywood Try this link http://www.hse.gov.uk/spd/frameset/spdfltt.htm