Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 22 February 2002 15:54:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ciaran McAleenan Dear all Does anybody know where I could get a copy of a video on the Piper Alpha accident? (I think it might have been produced by ICI) Ciaran
Admin  
#2 Posted : 22 February 2002 17:38:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Waldram I know of three such videos, in each case the presenter is Brian Appleton, ex-Director of ICI who was one of the technical assessors to the Inquiry. His general message is that, whatever the fine detail, the ultimate responsibility for the various failures was with management, who failed in their moral duties to care for those on the installation. ICI made one video for internal use, then BP and Mobil followed suit. Mobil have traditionally responded favourably to external requests for copies for training purposes - an initial contact might be the secretary in the SHE Department at Mobil North Sea Ltd, Aberdeen.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 22 February 2002 18:39:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jane Riley Hi Ciaran, You could try the Home Office Emergency Planning College in North Yorkshire. They have an excellent library and a very helpful staff. As well as the video, you may be able to get other information about this disaster, and information on other disasters. I haven't got the 'phone number to hand, but you may be able to find a link to the College through the Home Office website - try www.homeoffice.gov.uk/epd Regards, Jane
Admin  
#4 Posted : 23 February 2002 13:12:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Murphy Visit the Emergency Planning College Library web site on http://www.co-ordination...k/college/doc_centre.htm The librarian is a guy called John Parkinson, extremely helpful and can be contacted on 01347-825007.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 25 February 2002 14:13:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ciaran McAleenan Thank you all. Ciaran
Admin  
#6 Posted : 26 February 2002 08:16:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian D Hi Ciaran The video that you refer to is a BBC production called "Spiral to Disaster" from the BBC Disaster series 1. It can be obtained from the BBC education and training department and it cost approx £70 This video is very powerful and I have used it for a number of years on permit to work and emergency procedure training courses. It is in the form of a factual reconstruction of the incident as apposed to the ICI one which is an analysis of the events Regards Ian
Admin  
#7 Posted : 27 February 2002 19:40:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stuart Nagle Ciaran. Contact the Fire Service College at Moreton in Marsh Gloucestershire. Their shop (on site) does mail order of videos and speaking to the library there will point you in the best direction for a number of distater/emergency references if this is what you are after. best regards... Stuart Nagle