Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 22 February 2002 23:27:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dougie What are the minimum quals for this grade?
Admin  
#2 Posted : 23 February 2002 15:34:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bill Fisher Dougie If you click "Membership Information" on the left banners and go to relevant section you will get the info you require. Regards Bill
Admin  
#3 Posted : 23 February 2002 18:42:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David J Bristow Hi Dougie I have just visited the membership section as Bill suggested and would like to add that the information is not 100% accurate. If you hold a NEBOSH Construction certificate, this being a lower level of achievment to either NVQ3 or Diploma 1 and meet the rest of the critera as set out below then you can apply for TechSP. "With a NEBOSH Construction Certificate and an updated OS&H CV which demonstrates you have at least 2 years full time (or pro rata) H&S experience you would be eligible to apply for TechSP" - an administration fee of £20 (twenty pounds) is required. An upgrade will not be considered if you have less than 2 years experience. If you decide to go down this route I know of a course starting in Sheffield late March early April - if you requre futher infomation then please email to david@safetymatters.org I have heard that changes may be in the pipeline for the Contruction Certifcate. I do not know whether this would alter eligibilty to join at TechSP level - perhaps the registration section of IOSH could answer this question through the forum Hope this helps. Regards David B
Admin  
#4 Posted : 25 February 2002 09:11:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Hazel Harvey The NEBOSH Construction Certificate is not an accredited qualification for TechSP. However, as part of the TechSP upgrading programme which was introduced in 1998 then those holding the CC were allowed to apply for upgrade to TechSP. As there are currently underway changes to the delivery of construction based training the Professional Affairs Committee of IOSH extended this provision to those currently undertaking CC until such time that a new Diploma part 1 (Construction)becomes available. This qualification is currently being piloted by NEBOSH, the syllabus was produced by IOSH Construction SG. Also in the pipeline is a redefined CC which will be a two week course which will parallel the current General Certificate. This will not qualify as the academic requirement for TechSP. It is anticipated that the new quals may be available towards the end of the year. The TechSP upgrading for Associates scheme is now closed to anyone who has not registered for the scheme but the Construction Certificate route will be honoured until the changes are in place.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 26 February 2002 11:10:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David J Bristow Hello Hazel Thanks for replying, I take it that you belong to the membership department of IOSH? With regards to your last paragraph can you confirm that the CC route is open to affiliate members of IOSH to upgrade to TechSP until such time as you indicated, that the new Contruction courses become available. I am sure that any closing date for upgrade will be advertised in the SHP magazine to give ample warning to those wishing to upgrade. Thank you once again for your time in replying. David B
Admin  
#6 Posted : 01 March 2002 13:44:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Hazel Harvey David, Yes I am in Professional Affairs of which membership forms a part. Until the CC changes its format to a shorter course IOSH will accept it as the academic requirement for TechSP. Pilot schemes are in operation for the new qualification so it looks as though it may be September when the new one is available. I would advise anyone who is considering doing the course to check with IOSH before embarking just to make sure of the state of play. Yes I will make sure that a notice advising of the change is placed both here on the website and in SHP at the appropriate time.
Admin  
#7 Posted : 01 March 2002 22:00:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David J Bristow Hazel Again I must thank you for replying to our request for information, however, you have refrained in your reply from confirming that AFFLIATE members can upgrade through this route of the Contruction Certifcate to TechSP - is ther a problem with confirming this in writting or am I missing something!. Regards David B
Admin  
#8 Posted : 04 March 2002 09:08:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Hazel Harvey David, As stated in my first posting this route of entry to IOSH is not an accredited route, so technically could be removed at any time. It was never intended that this concession would be used as an easy route of entry to IOSH TechSP, more as a stop gap for construction based people until the more relevant Dip1 (Construction) was ready for use. This route of entry has never being written in IOSH criteria for this reason and it is not going to be now, so near to its withdrawal.