Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 04 March 2002 16:49:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jo Scott Smith I work in an office environment which has a small team of inhouse maintenance workers doing small one off works/minor repairs etc. My problem is how to devise a practical, workable, COSHH compliant assessment system for them. Quite often a job will be assessed and then a trip made to the local hardware store to buy an appropriate product to do the job. My reading of the COSHH regualtion leads me to understand that we should then obtain a MSDS for the product, do the assessment and then put control measures in place that are likely to be exactly the same as the instructions on the packaging. This is all very time consuming and troublesome for what otherwise could be a 10 minute job. How do people deal with this in practice? Thanks for your help.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 04 March 2002 19:31:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Peter J Harvey Jo, You could work from an approved product list, this will allow you to put all your COSHH assessments in place, even choose the safest products before you need them. I have done this before and it worked well, I sat down with maintenance staff and looked at all the possible chemicals we could use and did the COSHH work with data sheets etc. OK there might be the odd occasion when something new creeps on site, but normally you would have already looked at all the potential nasties. Peter Harvey