Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 11 March 2002 12:08:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nicky
I have telephoned the DVLC and they say it is legal to transport passengers in a trailer-including caravans. I really don't think it is but apart from the Agriculture Info sheet 36, which doesn't cover transport on roads I am stuck. I have looked at the Road Traffic Act and my understanding is that it just covered getting on to a moving trailer. Can anyone help as I wish to stop this practice- I will be doing a risk assessment, but the clarification of the legal position is a first step for me.
Regards
Nicky
Admin  
#2 Posted : 11 March 2002 15:35:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Martin Gray
Nicky,

Reg 90 Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986 refers.

This was also loosely raised in this discussion forum concerning floats in carnivals and rag processions. Basicly the vehicle would need to be modified to prevent access and egress from the side of the trailer, also seating would need to be fixed. The trailer and towing vehicle should also be inspected by the Vehicle Inspectorate prior to use and the insurance company informed of the modifications as it will effect the insurance cover of the primary towing unit.
Hope this helps.

Martin
Admin  
#3 Posted : 13 March 2002 17:00:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Anthony Morrison
Nicky,

I believe that in compliance with The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986 a suitable fixed seat must be provided for all passengers with seat belts provided (in most circumstances) under Regulations 46 & 47. Non-compliance may result in prosecution under The Road Traffic Act 1988.

Additionally this may be classed as carrying passengers in a dangerous manor which would also give rise to prosecution under The Road Traffic Act 1988.
Sections 40a, 41a, 41b and 42 provides various offences which may be commited in relation to the use of a vehicle in a dangerous condition and/or in contravention to the Regulations.
Anthony
Admin  
#4 Posted : 14 March 2002 10:29:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nicky
Thanks Anthony, that is just what I wanted. I am also going to hit with insurance possibilies too - so with this ammo the practice will be halted.
Nicky