Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 13 March 2002 18:37:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mark Edwards Hi Everyone, I am looking at the provision of First Aid Boxes in company cars, I do understand that the vehicle driver would need to be First Aid trained in some way but has anyone crossed this bridge before, I would welcome any assistance, many thanks Mark.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 14 March 2002 05:38:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Uday Hi, Yes, we have crossed this hurdle before. We had all our drivers trained in first aid awareness and do have first box in all our vehicles and it is a mandatory requirement and contractual too. Trust this helps. Regards
Admin  
#3 Posted : 14 March 2002 08:50:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor Whilst fully supporting the proposal, at the 'bottom line' it is a matter for informed assessment in order to provide what is 'adequate and appropriate'. This should take into account; whether long distances are travelled, whether the driver is alone, the nature of the work, etc. The ACOP and Guidance (L74) should be consulted and a decision taken. I would also consider issuing the recently-revised leaflet INDG347 'Basic Advice on First Aid at Work'.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 15 March 2002 13:00:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mark Large I agree with Ken. First assess the need. If a need is identified train and equip according to the need. We give our field workers a two hour emergency first aid course as they come into contact with agricultural hazzards. Our everyday traveling officers get nothing as they are only going from office environment to office environment where kits should already be present. In my opinion long distance traveling if identified is hazard that should be elimated rather than providing supplies for the consquences. A experienced qualified first aider can be considered competant to deliver a basic uncertificated emergency first aid course.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 18 March 2002 12:09:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Joe McNicholas I would have to agree that you need to assess how far people are travelling. What I found was that most Car use is covered by the Road Traffic Act but there should be some provision for long distance travelling. As a purely personal opinion, I would state that if people are travelling for more than an hour quite regularly (2-3 times a week or more) then I would provide first aid measures. I would stress that this is a personal opinion. I would also look at some form of communication/ Lone worker system if the above criteria applied. Hope this helps. Joe