Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 28 March 2002 09:28:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Shaun William Simpson Looking for help. Is there any relevant standard available or indeed guidance for layout and construction of car parks. I need to conduct a risk assessment on our existing car parks but I don't know what is correct and best practice.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 02 April 2002 09:27:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor Not really my field - but no-one else has replied yet. The Department for Education and Science Architects & Building Branch have pro-formas for accessibility audits under the Disability Discrimination act and one of the check-lists is for 'Approach and Vehicle Parking'. Approved Document K to the Building Regulations has some information on vehicle impact barriers, etc and Approved Document B has information for Fire Brigade access. Other than the above, I can remember various architectural press publications with standard drawings for parking bays, turning areas, etc.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 02 April 2002 09:39:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor I should have said Department for Education and Skills. It was formerly Education and Employment and before that Education and Science! It's a bit early in the morning for me!
Admin  
#4 Posted : 02 April 2002 12:45:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert Thomas Shaun Try your Local Authority Planning or Highways Department, they should be able to point you in the right direction. Failing a decent response from either department, I would be able to send you information that I've used in the past for design purposes although the information I have wasn't too recent when I used it! Contact me by e-mail if necessary. Regards Rob ps What do you do if you see a spaceman? Answer - Park in it man (70's joke told me )
Admin  
#5 Posted : 03 April 2002 16:52:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mark Preston BS 5489 Part 9, Code of practice for lighting for urban centres and public amenity areas, deals with lighting of Car Parks (both outdoor and undercover)
Admin  
#6 Posted : 04 April 2002 10:51:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Richard Peters Shaun, I would suggest that one approach would be to treat the car park as any other mixed traffic environment, such as a factory with fork lift trucks. Regulation 17 of the Workplace (Health, Safety and Welfare) Regulations refers to organisation of traffic routes. It may be relevant, depending on your situation. Aside from this, I don't know of any guidance apecifically relevant, but, as someone once said, 'I know what I like'. I have used some car parks which have been terribly designed and some others which have been brilliant (there are some out of town supermarkets which have excellent examples, with rows of cars separated by covered walkways and a minimum of crossing points). I know you want official guidance rather than opinion, but I would suggest: looking at your traffic flows, both pedestrian and vehicular, segregation of traffic types using physical barriers or management of routes, keeping the flows in one direction only (if possible) to eliminate the need for vehicles to back up, and look at all the standard things like high friction surfaces, speed limiting, elimination of blind corners, stuff like that.
Admin  
#7 Posted : 04 April 2002 12:47:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By gary lathan "A Guide to Car park Design and Use" was published by the St Gallen Consulting Group, 8 Plato Place, 72-74 Dionis Rd, London, SW6 4TU this, together with "Car Parks are for People" ( free with the above)is a good base for starting. Try The Association of Town Centre Management, 1 Queen Annes Gate, Westminister, London SW1 9BT or the DTI site if you require copies.