Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 15 April 2002 12:09:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By john ridley The CDM Reg's require a competent and adequately resourced Planning Supervisor to coordinate the H&S aspects of construction work falling under the Reg's at the pre-tender stage. Whilst I am aware that this will usually involve someone such as an architect, project manager or consulting engineer etc with design and construction experience, does anyone know what would specifically constitute competence as a Planning Supervisor? Although I am not specifically talking about myself as the planning supervisor I am MIOSH (RSP) but with little construction experience, however, could I be deemed competent as a planning supervisor armed with a bus load of construction guidance and other relevant information and forming this into the Safety plan?
Admin  
#2 Posted : 15 April 2002 12:29:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert K Lewis John CDM is primarily concerned with design, design co-ordination and designing out the safety issues wherever possible. Unless you have a firm grasp of design principles and construction practice don't even try to go down the route. Undoubtedly there will be those claiming to be able to train you but do be wary as there have been cases of prosecutions against the PS. I have been in the construction industry over 20years as a Safety Practioner and would not claim competence as I am not totally familiar with some areas of design and practice - this is one reason also why an individual is rarely able to fulfill the role totally. Bob
Admin  
#3 Posted : 15 April 2002 17:04:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By john ridley Thanks for the reply Bob. This is a lengthy story but in summary it is really as a result of us getting rid of the construction arm of our business who have always in the past completed the duties of the client under CDM on our behalf. In the future we will be contracting the services of a consultant to fulfill the role of PS, but for the work now in hand the business needs someone to deal with the current F10's and that looks like me as the appointed competent PS (some would say stitched up), whether or not I like it and I don't. Problem is that someone has to do this and there is no-one else.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 16 April 2002 08:54:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor The new ACOP (HSG 224) says that 'The Planning Supervisor needs a sound working knowledge of health and safety in construction work; a thorough knowledge of the design process; and experience of the site processes likely to be involved in the project and in future maintenance, refurbishment or demolition. The size and complexity of the project will determine whether an individual is capable and has the resources to carry out all the work required'. Whilst you could check yourself out against these criteria, I would tend to support the earlier advice and suggest that you contract out this duty. When approached with a similar situation in the past, I have asserted the need for the Client's health and safety officer to represent the best interest of the client with an appointed Planning Supervisor and the Design Team - although I would admit to drafting a few pre-tender H&S plans for others to own!
Admin  
#5 Posted : 16 April 2002 13:12:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By peter gotch John, The Construction Industry Research and Information Association, CIRIA have published Reports 172 and 173 on practical implications of CDM for "Clients and Clients' Agents" and Planning Supervisors. Report 172 gives guidance to clients on acting as their own planning supervisor and poses a series of questions to enable the client to decide on whether they might be competent to perform the role. As indicated by previous response, for most projects a multi-disciplinary team will be required inclusive of construction professional input. Whilst I have the IOSH letters + extensive construction experience, I have had to point out to a major client that they should not appoint me personally as Planning Supervisor on a mult-miilion £ marine engineering project, as I could not conceivably be expected to have all the competence criteria which would be required for the job!! The compromise is that Babtie are the PS and I am named as PS Coordinator. Your employer appears to be liable to put their head on the block (with yours possibly alongside!) Good luck Peter