Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 18 April 2002 13:35:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Alison Hoyes Consider this if you will..... Large heavy engineering operation using significant cranage moving materials of up to 20t in predominantly large billets. All experienced workforce - will wear bump caps but struggle to get compliance on hard hats as job involves lots of bending where the hat falls off - won't wear chin straps - too uncomfortable No previous incidents of injury to head 1. Should the area be designated hard hat? 2. If so, anyone got any ideas on how to protect two rastaferians (don't know if thats the correct spelling - apologies for any errors) - there are no hats any where that are big enough!!!! Urgent advices required!!!!
Admin  
#2 Posted : 18 April 2002 15:33:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By P Hocking What control measures have been identified in the risk assessment? In my experience hard hats will not have any significant impact on a 2oT weight dropped at any height. Have you considered lift plan (method of work)?
Admin  
#3 Posted : 19 April 2002 11:26:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mark Jarman Alison, Obviously if the process of lifting and moving materials at height can be altered, this is the best option. Otherwise, is there any way of eliminating the need for people to work below the lifted materials? If not, and the risk assessment for the process has identified a risk of objects falling from height (which may not be limited to the load being carried), then hard hats are appropriate. Bump caps would not be appropriate as there is no 'cradle' to absorb and distribute the force of any impact. You may be able to find alternative materials for the chin strap. As far as the Rastas are concerned (I'm not even going to attempt to spell it), if the PPE that is available is not suitable due to their hair, then you may have to find them alternative tasks. Obviously this raises the possibility of discrimination etc.. but as a safety professional you have to give your decision based on safety considerations. Your HR department should be able to advise on the discrimination aspect of things. Good luck! Mark
Admin  
#4 Posted : 19 April 2002 13:53:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Lee Ainsworth Alison In agreement with Mark that bump caps would not be appropriate for the protection required, it would have to be hard hats. In the risk assessments, we have, for much the same industry, it is shown that bolts shearing off OHC and then becoming a flying object, needs to be taken into account. This although not a common place incident is foreseable and does happen. As for the Rastafarians, I'm sorry but can only agree again with Mark as to the options available. Good Luck! Regards Lee
Admin  
#5 Posted : 19 April 2002 20:16:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stuart Nagle Alison. Rastafarianism is a religion, and therefore I assume the same would apply for these persons as does to Seiks with turbans. The choise of hard hat also needs to be considered. Apart from chin straps (which are I admit uncomfortable) have you considered hard hats with a ratchet operated head adjustment? These are only a little more expensive than the standard hard hat, much more comfortable and if adjusted correctly, will not fall off the head when bending down/over - I use one myself so I can vouch for this !! Who knows, you may even be able to get the 'Big Hair' persons into these !! As for working below the load, I would say that the area below the lift should be a hard hat area, and the obvious thing to do is to have a safe system of work that removes persons from the area when the actual lifting operations are taking place (i.e after connecting/before raising and before lowering). In addition, if tacking of the load is necessary, this may also be achieved with long handled tools !! Hope this helps.... Stuart Nagle
Admin  
#6 Posted : 22 April 2002 09:51:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert Woods The question on hard hats for rastafarians has been answered in previous threads.
Admin  
#7 Posted : 22 April 2002 16:47:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Webster Contrary to Stuart's assertion, I am inclined to believe that Rastafarianism has not, in fact, been recognised as a religion but is a sub-culture (akin to being a Hippy or a Punk) If so, then Rastafarians would not enjoy the exemptions afforded to Seikhs, neither would it be possible to claim discrimination. John
Admin  
#8 Posted : 23 April 2002 08:39:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor Doesn't the exemption only apply to Seikhs - who are required to wear a specific head covering?
Admin  
#9 Posted : 23 April 2002 11:37:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Laurie I think you're right, Ken. I only ever remember such an exemption applying to Sikhs Laurie
Admin  
#10 Posted : 25 April 2002 15:55:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Charles Ferguson Hard Hats on constructions sites come under the scope of the Construction (Head Protection) Regulations 1989, which states that unless there is no foreseeable risk of head injury, suitable head protection must be provided (employer) and worn (employee). Established by risk assessment as previously stated. Turban wearing Sikhs and their employers have exemptions under the Employment Act 1989, which is reproduced at Appendix 4 of the above-mentioned regulations. These exemptions cover both statutory duties and liabilities under tort. There are no other exemptions that I am aware of. To allow others, because of ‘big hair’ or any other reason, to work in an environment where there is a reasonably foreseeable risk of head injury, is leaving oneself open to both a potential prosecution for a breach of the above regulations and the possibility of a civil claim (how’s your insurance). I’m confident that ‘bump caps’ would not be considered suitable head protection, you could ask the advise of your local HSE on this. This is a paraphrased simplified explanation and the regulations can be consulted for the details. Hope this helps.
Admin  
#11 Posted : 29 April 2002 17:04:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Smita Jamdar I've only just seen this thread and I Know it's a few days old, but the Courts have already ruled that, for the purposes of discrimination, Rastafarians do not fall into the same categories as Sikhs - the case was Crown Suppliers (Property Services Agency) v Dawkins [1991] ICR 583, EAT; affd [1993] ICR 517, CA. Hope that helps.
Admin  
#12 Posted : 29 April 2002 17:44:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By peter gotch Alison, There is case law which deals with discrimination against Rastafarians on grounds of their long hair being allegedly unhygienic in circumstances where female employees were not expected not to have long hair. There is also case law dealing with discrimination against Sikhs in sectors other than construction - ie where the specific exemptions in Employment Act do not apply. There is a long thread on this subject in the old forum. Type in sikh should get you there quickly. Regards, Peter
Admin  
#13 Posted : 03 May 2002 23:26:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stuart Nagle Contrary to you're posting, whether or recognised, rastafarianism is a religion. Look it up !! Stuart Nagle
Admin  
#14 Posted : 07 May 2002 11:45:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert K Lewis Alison I have just picked this up and it seems to refer to one of your clients who is an engineering concern. The Construction (head Protection) Regs do not therefore apply and it is the PPE regs and the MHSW regs that must apply. The Sikh exemption is specific to the construction industry and does not formally apply to the PPE etc regs. As previously stated there needs to be a Risk Assessment of the needs. Remember the need for the choice of suitable equipment is integral in this. LOLER talks also of the the operation be carried out in a safe manner, reg 8(1)(c) which the ACOP enlarges at para 230 and 231 to say that where practicable loads should not be carried over or suspended over areas occupied by persons and the establishment of a safe system of work where this is not practicable. This actually implements the EC directive more closely than the reg. itself. If they will not co-operate then your client will need to commence the standard disciplinary route. Remember that they will need to show that they have exhausted the potential hard hats available. Bob