Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 29 April 2002 15:44:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Waterton
Hi, i work for a local authoruty Social Work Department. The issue of whom should be afforded protection against the hep B and C is very contentious. Some staff feel it should be on demand..that is not a view shared by management. I have put together a draft guidance note and attempted to include a pro-forma for deciding on the level of risk..high, medium orlow.(not very sophisticated i know--but i like simple) For the various routes of contact e.g blood, bites, needle stick contact etc.
One problem i have is conflicting advice and views expressed to me by medical "experts"

In relation to historical data we have never had a member of staff infected by a service user (3000 + staff) I know it is not a copmlete guide to future events and that in theory a person could contact the virus at any time. However, in the context of considering the probability of exposure leading to infection it is my view that using historical factors is valid. I would be happy to exchange the work i have completed and would welcome any comments advice etc from those having walked this rocky path..
Admin  
#2 Posted : 30 April 2002 08:05:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nick Higginson
David,

Not come across this particular one due to my industry but I guess the principle is the same. There are times when a simple RA or COst Benefit Analysis does not take into account perception of risk - we have implemented some control measures simply to avoid damaging morale of staff. Your controls should normally be based on risk assessment, but consensus of employee opinion is also important. SOrry I can't offer any more advice.

Regards,

Nick
Admin  
#3 Posted : 30 April 2002 09:05:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Laurie
I had a similar query some months ago with reference to staff working with Special Programmes students in Further Education.

Advice from the local Public Health and HSE was the same - not required unless there was really a specific threat e.g mental care nurses

Laurie
Admin  
#4 Posted : 30 April 2002 10:17:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Joe McNicholas
David,

Having dealt with LA Housing Officers and Social Workers whilst contracted to clean properties I would strongly recommend an immunisation system to be adopted.

Some of the properties we cleaned were 'booby trapped' with sharps stuck in bannisters, light switches and furniture etc. Not only that but human body fluids and waste were encountered on a regular basis in a high number of properties. Myself and all our operatives were given Hep A & B jabs. Some surgeries kept the jabs in stock and therefore didn't charge, others gave a prescription which resulted in a cost of appx £38.00 (around 3-4 years ago).

Hope this helps but please e-mail me if you need any further info.

Best regards

Joe
Admin  
#5 Posted : 30 April 2002 12:31:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Alison Dando
In our NHS Trust it is based on a risk assessment, a copy of which is given to the Occupational Health Dept. before they start the course of immunisation because vaccination is a control measure.
A generic one can be done based on occupation e.g. nursing staff who may come into contact with a carrier, medics who perform invasive procedures, estates staff and portering staff who will either come into contact with discarded or inappropriately contained unsheathed needles (sharps boxes do fall apart if not put together correctly)etc.
Some can be done on forseeability, if in a given circumstance a person has come into contact with an unsheathed needle or it is known that needle sharing people are frequenting a given area etc. (risk assessments have to cater for forseeability, if the situation has happened once then in similar circumstances it is considered forseeable that it can happen again).
What it shouldn't be done on, is a basis of cost, the HSE don't like that one in the law courts and a solicitor will rub his hands in glee if pursuing a case for compensation.
Remember what is reasonably practical ? -_Reg.7(1) COSHH Regs. Prevention or control, you will need to be able answer that question in court, if needed.
Hope this helps
Admin  
#6 Posted : 30 April 2002 13:00:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By peter gotch
David et al

Lots of useful guidance available from the Viral Hepatitis Prevention Board, including free bulletin.

www.vhpb.org

Regards, Peter
Admin  
#7 Posted : 30 April 2002 13:06:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor
Whilst historical data can be considered as part of the risk assessment process, I would contend that, in view of the nature of the incidence of communicable disease, the data to be considered should relate to the nature, location, clients, etc of the work activity itself rather than be limited to the experience of the particular employer. In a previous local authority existence, our occupational health service came up with a 'vaccination policy' which considered the various risk groups across the Council's departments and decided which staff groups should be offered vaccination against particular diseases. I am attempting to do something along those lines for my present employers in consultation with our medical advisor and nursing staff and taking into account the local health authorities published guidance on communicable disease control for schools and nurseries. This is likely to go along the generic risk assessment route but with reminders to consider individual circumstances that may vary. I suspect that there is likely to be a number of occupations where vaccination will be 'strongly advised' in initial employment literature.
Admin  
#8 Posted : 30 April 2002 23:10:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Partington
David, you need to make sure that staff working with people with learning difficulties have this immunisation as the incidence rate of HEP B is very high (relativly) staff undertake personal care with this group and there are two main reasons why the incidence rate is so high.

1. Lots of unprotected sex.

2. As many people with learning difficulties have epilepsy the drugs that they take (Epilim, Phenitoin etc)effect their palate and therefore there is lots of dribble. As they leave in close proximity then this route also spreads the disease.

Knowing all of these things then it is indefensible not to give the vacination. However, you need to been aware that the vacine is less useful for staff after the age of 40 and therefore one might wish to consider excluding this group from working in known high risk areas. Also there are groups of people for whom the vacine does not work. And therefore in high risk areas it may be appropriate to exclude these people from this area of wotk. Talk to Occupational Health.

If you want further help with this then contact me at:

david.partington@southwark.gov.uk

Regards.