Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 30 April 2002 12:50:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Charles New As a Client engaging scaffolding contractors to erect large numbers of scaffolds on housing and office accommodation every year, I am seeking advice on our need to undertake scaffold inspections as required under Reg 29 of the Construction(H, S & W)Regs 1996. Do we, as a Client who has a significant amount of control over the works, have to inspect the scaffold in addition to the inspection being undertaken by a Principal Contractor? Or can the responsibility and the associated liability be passed on to the Principal Contractor?
Admin  
#2 Posted : 30 April 2002 13:08:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By peter gotch Charles, Think you should put the onus on your PC to deal with inspections under CHSW. However, you need to consider how you will comply with your duties towards your staff, tenants and others in terms of common law and statutory responsibilities including, in particular, Sections 2-4 of Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974. You need to have some means of assessing whether your contractors are protecting your legal interests, eg via diagnostic inspections of scaffolding, and more general monitoring of contractor performance, not least to input into your assessment of their competence before you appoint them for another job [CDM Regs 8, 9 refer!] Peter
Admin  
#3 Posted : 30 April 2002 16:08:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Brede Under regulation 6 of CDM you are required to ensure that the Principal Contractor is competent and adequately resourced....quoting from the ACOP. If you have concerns about the competence of your PC to deal with scaffolding work you have to set in train processes to check this out, and that can be by inspections on your part. Your second paragraph hints that yours is a hands on type of client so it my be expected by the PC that you will inspect in safety. Therefore to pass this role on to the PC may give out a signal that scaffolding is not a concern of yours any more. So think carefully about your firms safety culture and how this change may be seen. Peters points are valid as you have to be sure that wider view of site safety is being considered by the PC. They often get too focused on the work and miss these wider issues.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 30 April 2002 22:45:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Partington Charles I am the HS manager for Southwark Housing. I have recently had two reports of problems with a scaffolder. I have invested and written reports and have had Building Inspectors out from each of the 16 NHOs out inspecting/ auditing their scaffolds. From this I am forming a view. You could try this approach as it ensures that no one is accussed of being "out to get them" and quickly gives one a view of their scaffolds. From this one can determine wheather to use the scaffolders or not. It you wish to discusst this then contact me on 0207 525 2069 david.partington@southwark.gov.uk Regards.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 01 May 2002 09:10:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor Where the scaffold is in a place entirely under the control of the principal contractor the inspections will be a matter for them but with your interest in monitoring their performance. However, where an element of control is retained by the client (as is likely to be the case with occupied housing property and offices) the employer's and occupier's duties still apply to protect staff, residents, visitors, public, etc. In these circumstances, I would normally expect visual checks of both the scaffold and the inspection certificates/records to be a reasonable approach (particularly considering accessibility to children). It can be useful to spell out within the pre-tender and contract literature that such certificates and records will be required to be kept available for inspection .
Admin  
#6 Posted : 02 May 2002 20:43:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jim Walker Just to add my own knot to the thread. The others are right in a true "building site" situation, but I'm not sure this is what you have. I think the crucial thing is how much control you have retained on these sites whilst the work is going on. I suggest you read the judgement in the Associated Octel case. It's on the web somewhere. If you can't find it e-mail me direct and I'll dig out the site for you.
Admin  
#7 Posted : 03 May 2002 09:35:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Martyn Hendrie The fact that you speak of having to appoint a Principal Contractor indicates that you are dealing with a "construction activity" The Construction (Health, Safety & Welfare) Regulations do not specify who must carry out the legally required inspections of scaffolds other than they be "competent" to carry out that task. The first question I would ask is who, within the procurement chain, employs persons competent to inspect scaffolds. In my experience this would not normally be the client. It may not even be the Principal Contractor, often it would be the supervisor/manager of the scaffold contractor. The designated competent person would then be responsible for the adequacy and recording of the inspection. I agree with the respondents that, although not responsible for the "formal inspection," if your organisation is engaging the scaffold contractor directly, or you have occupants still in residence during the works you should satisfy yourself that a) The residents and public are not being put at risk b) The scaffold is suitable for the works and is properly erected c) The legally required inspections (and any remedial action resulting from them) are being carried out. Items a-c would not make the client responsible for the legally required scaffold inspection and the necessary recording of inspections. However,to satisfy items a & b it may be appropriate for the client to arrange for periodic visual checks to be made on the scaffold.
Admin  
#8 Posted : 08 May 2002 10:28:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Charles New Thanks for all your comments, I have found them useful. Having looked at the Contruction Regs 1996 I feel it important to highlight Reg. 29 para. 2, which says; ....where a place of work is a part of a scaffold, excavation etc.... any employer or any other person who controls the way in which construction work is carried out by persons using that part shall ensure that the scaffold, excavation etc...is stable and of sound construction.... In my opinion the important parts here are, the words - any employer or any other person who controls the way construction work is carried out. As we are a Client who does have some control over works, and who does have staff working on scaffolds from time to time it appears therefore that we have a duty to do an inspection.