Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 08 May 2002 06:06:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Graham Sargeant I am aware the term 'place of work' gives a very broad coverage of what are to be considered as a place of work covered by legislation, but could anyone clarify for me please... a person who works from home, say for example in a converted bedroom, is that room considered to be a place of work and the same requirements applicable? Thanks in advance Graham
Admin  
#2 Posted : 08 May 2002 08:51:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor Whilst legislation will apply with regard to the worker, the work, the work equipment, etc (including general duties) it is notable that the Workplace (Health, Safety and Welfare) Regulations 1992 define 'workplace' as '.. any premises or part of premises which are not domestic premises and are made available to any person as a place of work ...' I take this to mean that a part of a private house would need to be separated to form a 'semi-detached' office, factory or the like before those Regulations could be applied. The HSE guidance clearly say that they do not apply to 'homeworkers'. However this should not prevent the Regulations being used as guidance for providing a safe workplace and meeting other duties.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 08 May 2002 08:54:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Scott ACoP L24 would suggest that this converted bedroom is not a workplace or place of work, it being in a domestic property and therefore not subject to Workplaces Regs 92. However, as a home worker you are subjected to the following; If self employed; HASAW S3 Duties of self employed MHSWR Reg 3 Risk assessment, Reg 5 H&S Arrangements, Reg 8 Danger.Emergency procedures DSER as 'operator' only the following; Reg 2 risk assessment, Reg 3 requirements of a workstation, Reg 7 information. PUWER all 'to the extent of (the employers) control' EAW all for 'matters within (the employers) control Employers Liability - None but Public Liability is highly advised. If employed; Employer owes you; HASAW S2 Duties Safety Reps & safety Committee Regs - All H&S First Aid Regs - All EAW Regs - All DSER - as 'user', All MHO - All PPE - All COSHH - All RIDDOR - All H&S Consultation Regs - All PUWER - All for equipment 'provided for or used by/ employee Work Time Regs - All Employers Liability - All Probably more than you asked for but having just gone through this process with our Solicitors, I felt I should pass on this information.