Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 24 May 2002 10:36:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ron Young Advice please, Do we have to supply a fridge if an insulin dependant diabetic requests it to store his/her insulin? Anyone out there had experience of supplying one and if so how do you control it.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 24 May 2002 11:17:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert K Lewis Surely you have one availble in the building which can be used? I understand the domestic fridge at home is recommended and given the packaging there should be no contamination of food problems My gut feeling is that a caring employer should help, look also to the DDA Bob
Admin  
#3 Posted : 24 May 2002 13:31:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Charles Ferguson Ron As a bit of background I am the father of a long-term diabetic daughter and a safety advisor to a local authority. In my opinion the short answer to the question of whether you have to supply a fridge is no (I can hear the mutterings from here). Please read on. Whilst Robert is correct that a domestic fridge is more than adequate to store insulation long term, I would be concerned if it was not secure, for many reasons the first and probably (in my view) most important is that the newer insulin delivery systems are very similar to pens and would be very tempting to people who wanted to explore how they work. Who is responsible? What happens if it gets broken? (Devil’s advocate/sods law). Another consideration is what do you do if the fridge breaks down or if someone tampers with the controls and the insulin is frozen? Again, I agree with Robert on the caring employer/DDA angle. May I suggest another route you may explore is the possibility of providing one of the many bespoke individual travel orientated cool box/wallet type containers that are more than adequate for your purposes and easier to secure. This would not only give your employee a facility to bring to work but also something that could be used in other domestic scenarios. If you want more advise on this you could contact the local branch of Diabetes UK (new name for the British Diabetic Association) who I’m sure could advise on suitable products (products are always being advertised in their monthly magazine ‘Balance’). They also have specific publications designed to give advise to employers with diabetic employees. Diabetes UK’s web site http://www.diabetes.org.uk/home.htm is another good source of information. Hope this is helpful. Charles
Admin  
#4 Posted : 27 May 2002 10:40:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert K Lewis Totally agree with Charles. I feel that too often we create obstacles where none should exist. Bob
Admin  
#5 Posted : 27 May 2002 10:45:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By JULIE SANDERS Is it absolutely necessary to keep insulin refridgerated whilst at work? unless large quantities are being stored but I fail to see why!
Admin  
#6 Posted : 28 May 2002 14:19:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Brede Fridges are required for long term storage of insulin. Also many diabetic regimes require the patient to use different products at different times of the day so it is convenient to store insulin in somewhere cool like a fridge until they are needed. Yes some insulin products come in pens, and other storage methods such as those suggested before by other respondents are available. But remember that the diabetic may have a treatment regime based on specific products that only come in particular packaging. Diabetes treatment is not a one size fits all process so you cannot insist that patients use a product that is convenient to you as the employer. Having said that most diabetics come and go in work and most people do not notice anything. Does no one use milk for tea or consume other perishable foods on your premises? David
Admin  
#7 Posted : 28 May 2002 15:49:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Debbie Suckling I have been diabetic for 10 years and I am also a Health and Safety Officer. Although I agree that there are many different regimes out there for the treatment of diabetes I have not yet come across any insulin that has to be stored in the fridge permanently. Most insulin has to be refrigerated for long term storage but the acutal bottle or penfill cartridge in use do es not have to be refrigerated. Many insulins now recommend that the device (pen) or bottle of insulin if using a syringe (more and more uncommon) are not stored in the fridge as this can affect the way the insulin is absorbed by your body and also makes injections needlessly more painful. I would however, if a caring employer look into this for the individual concerned. I would write to the manufacturer of the insulin in question and ask their advice. My insulin survived over a total journey of 20 hours due to flight delays without any type of refrigeration apart from a small cool bag and was perfectly useable.
Admin  
#8 Posted : 30 May 2002 00:47:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Steve Crookes Good answers so far, but I would like to add a few points. 1. Most products that a diabetic needs, such as insulin, glucogen and hypostop keep for at least 4 weeks at room temperature. In the case of penfil cartridges, 4 weeks is ample time to use a supply, be it actrapid, mixatard, insulatard or any other variant, though I am a bit vague on non human insulin. 2. This is personal perscription medicine and as such should be kept on the individuals person, not in a fridge at work, so that in the event of an accident, the medication will be found on the person, not locked away somewhere with no key avaliable. 3. Insulin, apparently, is a very painless and attractive way to commit suicide, I know of at least one doctor who was not diabetic who chose this method to exit the world. It is also attractive for other people to try/experiment with and is therefore,like any other perscription drug, highly dangerous. There is no requirement to provide storage for insulin at work. However, hypostop, which is relatively harmless and also quite distusting in taste, and glucogen, which can be fatal if mis-used, could find a place under the control of the first aider. Indeed perhaps the issue is not the storage of insulin at work, but the storage of support medicine and whether those around the worker with diabetes know what to do in the event of a hypoglycenic episode and at what point to administer glucogen? For further advice, as suggested previously, contact Diabetes UK. Regards, Steve Crookes
Admin  
#9 Posted : 30 May 2002 08:04:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ron Young Many thanks to all who contributed. The information is gratefully received and I now have a clear picture of how to progress. Ron