Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 24 May 2002 22:27:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor We are being recommended to go for a 'Uvazone' system for water treatment for a new swimming pool within a new sports facility for one of our schools. I am not familiar with this modern concept of using both UV and Ozone and have heard differing opinions from the two pool operators contacted who have this system. Does anyone out there have any views or experience with 'Uvazone' that they would like to share in helping us to come to a decision?
Admin  
#2 Posted : 27 May 2002 11:42:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Webster I have no direct practical experience of its use, however there are a number of advantages over conventional chlorination. From a H&S standpoint, the main one is the reduction in storage and handling of liquid or gaseous chlorine or of hypochlorite. There is, however, some evidence (sorry I do not have references) of a slight increase in risk to staff with respiratory ailments (eg asthma) if increased atmospheric ozone levels result. This is unlikely to affect bathers. The bather benefits fron reduced eye & mucosa irritation from the chloramines produced during chlorine treatment. Chloramined are also responsible for corrosion, particularly to supporting steelwork. Water quality wise, there are now strains of chlorine resistant pathogenic parasites such as Cryptosporidium parvum and bacteria like Legionella pneumophila which uv/ozone should deal with. Water chemistry is also easier to balance with fewer chemicals. It is even more important to ensure filtration systems are efficient with uv/ozone. The uv radiation will kill organisms, but these can be shielded by particulate matter in the water. Hope this helps John
Admin  
#3 Posted : 27 May 2002 19:21:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor Thanks for the response John. I intend to insist upon Ozone monitoring and automatic shut down of Ozonators as well as a hard interlock between water circulation and treatment. The theory of using both Ozone and UV sounds interesting for the resons you state - although some further chemicals will be needed for pH balance, etc - but one is naturally a little hesitant about something new when compared with the 'tried and trusted'.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 28 May 2002 11:53:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Webster Ken, New-ish to the UK, but in use for over 50 years in Europe, where there are several hundred thousand pools all using ozone. I understand that ozonation is now a requirement for all Olympic pools (Sydney was ozone, Atlanta was chlorine and had to be changed to ozone at a late stage following protests). John PS From your posting I had assumed you were to use full flow uv sterilisation followed by addition of ozone. Reading again, I suspect you may just be injecting ozone generated by uv light, in which case ignore my comments about filtration.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 28 May 2002 12:31:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor We use Ozone in three of our pools already. The 'Uvazone System' is said to be 'new' and combines treatment by both Ozone and UV. It seems that following ozonation, a percentage of the treated water is then subjected to UV. They say that this provides for greater water clarity and reduction of chloramines.