Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 02 July 2002 12:02:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Elliott
I have recently been asked to carry out a full propery healthcheck on all property within our remit. This is more than carrying out workplace inspections, it is to be able "to advise the authority of the health & safety conditions of places where people work from, in and use". Obviously the Workplace Regs are a major player, but can anyone offer me any more advice on what else to include, ie Gas, electricity, asbestos, etc.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 02 July 2002 15:07:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Charles New
The list is almost endless however other things you could check or assess may also include;

- Legionella assessment
- Access and egress for maintenance eg window cleaners etc.
- Car parking, movement of vehicles
- Review of planned preventative maintenace for plant, eg chillers, boilers, air handling units, water treatment, ladders, access scaffolding/towers/cherry pickers/cradles.
- COSHH eg refridgerant/chiller gases, solvents etc.
- Lone working for staff, or security
- Fire safety, eg means of escape, fire precautions equipment, emergency lighting, back up generators.
- Fire Certificate up to date, ie plans reflect the layout of the premises.
- Access for people with disabilities and special needs.
- Lift maintenance/LOLER
- Telecoms antenna on roof or side of building, eg access, proximity of staff to masts.
- Signs, eg fire signs, electric shock treatment notices, Health and Safety Law What you Should Know poster, empolyers liability insurance notice, Plant room location signs
- First aid
- Fixed electrical wiring inspection, and PAT testing.
- Prevention of falls over 2m, edge protection

Hope this is a helpful start.

Charles

Admin  
#3 Posted : 03 July 2002 13:30:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Sarah J Shaw
Paul

Not sure how much help this is, but I have been given an initial hazard screening form by a colleague that could provide some assistance. It is basically a tick box form which identifies the hazards present. I also have a couple of other documents that may help. Let me know your fax no. and I will send them (not all are avaibale to send on e-mail).

Sarah
Admin  
#4 Posted : 03 July 2002 14:48:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jay Joshi
Paul,

There is a very useful CIBSE publication,CIBSE Technical Memoranda TM 20; "Health, Safety & Welfare in the Built Environment".It includes most of the aspects one needs to consider in the "built environment" from a health & safety perspective.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 04 July 2002 12:35:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jim Sweetman
Paul,

The others have responded with some good steers. There are some interesting points that you can follow up on.

I would advise a note of caution, though. You may find it prudent to go back to the person(s) who have placed this action on you and request clarification on what the remit actually means and what they are expecting.

My initial impression is that someone has given a 'catch-all' type of instruction along the lines of 'tell me that my buildings are all safe and that I have no liability'.

Hardly the epitome of good Safety Management!

Good luck in your endeavours.

Jim