Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 03 July 2002 14:01:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Sarah J Shaw
I am trying to produce a 3 year rolling audit programme - mad you may think - barking I'd say!

It all comes of having ISO14001. We are now trying to pull our H&S system into order, so I am trying to document an audit system. Does anyone out there have audit protocols for anything and everything H&S.

I have the basic HSG65 issues in hand, but I am trying to pull together audit protocols for all the various regs (and you name it were probably covered by it). Could be CDM, PUWER, LOLER, Workplace regs, Pet Regs, Asbestos, fire, pressure systems, safety signs, RIDDOR, COSHH etc etc.

Or is there a wonderful publication I am missing from my library?

If I have to write them all from scratch it will take me more than 3 years to do it!

Ever hopeful..........Sarah
Admin  
#2 Posted : 03 July 2002 15:05:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Frank McKeown
Can I recommend you look at the RoSPA Quality Auditing System, it will not cover all legislation aspects but the main ones are in there. It should fit into any quality system and has the added advantage of allowing you to benchmark, though I haven't attempted this yet.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 04 July 2002 14:34:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert K Lewis
I think you will reach burn-out before you reach this point as you are trying to do everything for everybody. That reminds me of the tale of the various bodies - Everybody, Somebody and Nobody - but that is another story.

Can I suggest that you get a copy of Managing Safety The Systems way from BSI - No is HB 10180. Better still order the full OHSAS 18000 Kit from them. You need to structure yourself in a manner less related to legislation. Start perhaps with a table of significant legislation applicable across the company and define the Depts that are affected. The kit will provide help. Your audit programme can then concentrate on the departmental control.

If you look on our website
www.Davidmclean.co.uk and click on the QSE button. You will see listed the 13 Key elements of the system I have designed. These elements are audited over a 24 month period with certain key elements being undertaken more frequently. There are more detailed descriptors and expectations attached to each but this web area is still under construction. I will be happy to discuss this separately.

You must get the managers to be actively involved in setting up the process and programmes or they will leave you high and dry flogging yourself to death.

Bob
Admin  
#4 Posted : 04 July 2002 14:35:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert K Lewis
ps
The advatage of OHSAS is that it uses the 1400 model and with a little judicious work the systems can be easily integrated.
Bob