Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 08 July 2002 13:55:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Frank Cooper I am considering starting off down the OHSAS 18001 road as my company has already obtained ISO 9001 (Quality) and ISO 14001 (Environmental). Has anyone got any advice they could offer, please? My e-mail address is cooperf@instem.com and all contributions will be welcome. (I do have a copy of both the BSI Specification for 18001 as well as a copy of 18002 the guidelines doc.) What I am really interested in is the practical way forward and the pitfalls! Frank Cooper
Admin  
#2 Posted : 09 July 2002 08:47:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert K Lewis You do not say whether it is ISO 9001 1994 or 2000. Either way you should be well on the way to transition by now. If this has not yet been done try to get involved now. The processes required for OHSAS are close in many details to the other 2 standards, noting that youn cannot yet be accreddited to OHSAS. First major hurdle is getting the Risk assessment and Methods of control organised. These have to be subject to doc. control and records. This process needs to be fully bedded in before external audit. Document Control systems need establishing Audit process needs to be identified and formalised this must include the Corrective action process. The incident investigation process needs to be closed out in a loop, I use the Corrective action process to close out recommendations Please ring me on 01352 792846 or e-mail me for a fuller discussion. The message is to talk to whoever is managing the other systems and link into their processes. Also note the use of process not procedure as the important aspect is to get the process to reflect the work to be done with the required outputs - not tie things up in words. Bob
Admin  
#3 Posted : 09 July 2002 10:06:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Agnes Chow Our hospital has just passed the 18001 accreditation. One experience is that you need to sort out the legislation in the very beginning, both applicable and reference legislation. Also, establish a system which that can relate the legislation to your safety manuals. You need to have a system to demonstrate that your system is able to comply with all the related safety regulations. Internal audit will be one of the ways to ensure this. Records should be kept.