Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 08 July 2002 16:52:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Taylor Can any one define the difference for me Regards John
Admin  
#2 Posted : 08 July 2002 18:41:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor Fire certificate = Certificate issued by the Fire Authority for premises requiring certification under the Fire Precautions Act (or an old certificates under earlier legislation). Fire risk assessment = Risk assessment carried out by the employer as required by the Fire Precautions (Workplace) Regulations. Irrespective of whether you have a fire certificate, a fire risk assessment will be required. See 'Fire Safety: An Employer's Guide' from the Stationery Office (http://www.tso.co.uk/bookshop)
Admin  
#3 Posted : 10 July 2002 16:06:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Waterton Hi, Ken is on the money. I would add that here in Scotland fire officers are changing tract and see themselves more as enforcers than the previously did. My experience in the last 18 months is that they are asking to see your fire risk assessment when comming onto premises. thus reinforcing the fact that it is now a statutory requirement. cheers.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 10 July 2002 16:50:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andy Hi John, Another way of looking at these two (in my opinion) is that a fire certificate will state the legal requirements and can be the bare minimum. A Fire Risk Assessment will look at the risk to property as well as persons and may suggest greater controls, similar to insurers requirements. When my Fire Officer last visited regarding a pending fire certificate he looked at a consultants fire RA and said comply with that and you will get your Fire Cert! Andy.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 10 July 2002 21:24:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nick Higginson In place at the minute are2 structures at the same time, which is somewhat confusing to some people. I believe a consultative document is due to bring all fire legislation together and simplify the process. Nick
Admin  
#6 Posted : 11 July 2002 08:53:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor Nick is correct - but they have been telling us this sort of thing for years but only making things more complicated! The current proposals would require fire risk assessments to be sent to the fire authority for approval. It seems to be current guidance to the fire authorities that they will ask to see fire risk assessments whenever they are called in, or otherwise attend, employers' premises.
Admin  
#7 Posted : 11 July 2002 11:01:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Laurie I agree with David. In Scotland they ask for an assessment as soon as they appear on the premises, and also check that it has been reviewed. In at least three cases they have taken copies of my assessments away with them, Laurie