Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 24 July 2002 22:00:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By DML We have a contractor working for us in a confined space, (they are all confined space trained), they require scaffolders to go into the confined space to build a scaffold for about a day. They are suggesting that as it is only a day's work, they would train the scaffolders themselves and then let them work in the confined space under their supervision using all their confined space equipment. One of the main reasons is the cost of bringing in a training company to train the scaffolders for that short period of time. Any view's on that approach? as it could be said that the regulations don't say that you need bring in a training company to carry out confined space training. My own personal view is that we would require proper certified training to be carried out for all persons entering a confined space, no matter what the length of time they are in the confined space Regards, DML
Admin  
#2 Posted : 25 July 2002 12:48:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Lucas Your personal view is I feel the correct position to take. I was notified a couple of years ago now of an inadequately trained person who unfortunately didn't survive after working in a confined space - the company was held responsible etc, etc. Regards Ken
Admin  
#3 Posted : 25 July 2002 14:38:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Martin Gray The HSC ACOP Safe Working in confined spaces lays out the competences required for confined spaces working and also the training required. I would agree that the scaffolders must have received a recognised training for working in the confined spaces. Unless your contractor is an approved trainer they should not do this.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 10 August 2002 12:28:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stuart Nagle I do not necesarilly agree with the training of the scaffolders in this case. The CS Regs state that that the first option must be not to enter the space and to find an alternative means for doing the work. If this is not possible, then the space must be made safe to work in. I would suggest that there are methods of doing this that would allow the scaffolders to do their work in relative safety, with the proviso that they receive on-site training prior to works, there is a written safe system of work and permit to work for the task, and they are suitably supervised throughout the task by a confined space trained, competent and experienced person. The safe system of work should identify fully the emergency procedures in the event of an incident/accident etc, and the procedures for evacuating the space and the methods to be employed should be fully explained to, and the scaffolders trained (as part of their training on-site) in these procedures. It is, I would suggest, not reasonably practicable to expect everyone at work in such a situation to 'competent' (as defined by the MHSW Regs) for confined spaces working in such scenarios. I would however suggest that the above method is reasonably practicable provided that the on-site training is detailed (in writing) and provided by a 'competent' person. The training should cover the salient points of the CS regs (as described in the regs) and the role,duties and specific tasks to be undertaken. Hope this is of some assistance. If you ned any further info, come back to me. Stuart Nagle (former Authorising Engineer on MoD sites for confined spaces)