Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 12 August 2002 11:37:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Peter Vintner It is in the news today that antisocial behaviour will now be subject to spot fines. I was wondering if the forum had views on whether this would be a good way of cracking down on employees who never follow safe systems of work. The fines could be handed down by the safety officers, and money used to fund additional PPE for those employees who can't afford their own. Peter
Admin  
#2 Posted : 12 August 2002 15:50:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jason Weston Peter, Surely it is the employers responsibility to provide PPE - so no employee would be unable to afford their own. I am aware that some larger construction companies have considered imposing fines on employees who fail to use the correct PPE, but in the final analysis it was felt more beneficial to reward, and reinforce, good behaviour than to punish poor behaviours. There is also a contractual arrangement between employer and employee - giving both sides rights and responsibilities. The ASB fines are being brought in to try and introduce a further method to combat the increase in public anti social behaviour.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 13 August 2002 08:21:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Laurie Peter It's a good idea, except that the fines should go into the Safety Officer's Stress Fund! Laurie
Admin  
#4 Posted : 13 August 2002 09:31:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andrew Spondon Well done Peter for being brave enough to say what most of us safety professionals are thinking. I to agree that these selfish individuals should be fined to sponsor the purchasing of PPE for the poor. God bless you
Admin  
#5 Posted : 14 August 2002 09:55:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Keith Archer. What about spot fines for Employers that allow employees to ignore safe systems of work? The safety officer could also enforce this. Just one problem though how long will the profession last if this were to happen? Initial training (stressing section 7 of HASAWA) to inform employees of their duties and responsibilities followed by disciplinary action against employees who fail to follow safe systems of work is the only way forward. The outcome could be suspension from employment for a number of days resulting in the employee losing wages (spot fine?) With regards to the PPE issue all safety professionals know that caring employers will provide this free of charge. Unfortunately we are still in a situation where some employers will not employ people unless they have already got relevant PPE i.e.: Boots, Hard hats, this then leaves the problem of the poorer having these items but are they suitable?
Admin  
#6 Posted : 14 August 2002 11:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andrew Spondon We certainly wouldn't employ anybody if they hadn't displayed proper intentions to look after their own safety by investing in their own protective equipment. If they are not prepared to look after their own safety they are not prepared to look after any one elses, what a liability. We did supply a couple of chaps with some boots some time ago and guess what? the following year it became an expectation, very ungratful individuals. I wanted to dock their wages for the very cheek of it. God bless
Admin  
#7 Posted : 14 August 2002 12:40:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Keith Archer. Andrew, Sorry to hear about your terrible experience but you will always get some ungrateful person trying to obtain charity by expecting compliance to legislation. Suggest you choose your employees more carefully in the future. Keith.
Admin  
#8 Posted : 14 August 2002 17:05:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Peter Vintner Thankyou for the response Jason, However it is clear why safety professional are in the same exciting social group as accountants (no insult intended). As for Andrew's response fantastic. The chances of getting caught for not supplying the correct PPE is small indeed so why bother, many don't even wear it or want to. Money saved can be well spent towards a decent holiday to India to investigate their tolerance to PPE
Admin  
#9 Posted : 15 August 2002 16:44:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jay Joshi Peter, is there any particular angle that you have in referring to India as the place to study tolerence of PPE by users?
Admin  
#10 Posted : 16 August 2002 10:25:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andrew Spondon No particular angle Jay thanks. But as I have worked in India, I have some experience of the intolerance towards PPE, especially safety footwear. On a major project where scaffolders were supplied and made to wear safety footwear, the accident rate (from falls from height, slips and trips)soared where previously there hadn't been a problem and the individuals had bare feet. Apparently the same kinds of incidents were experienced in hong kong with scaffolders. This has nothing to do with the original question, however if you have time answer that one
Admin  
#11 Posted : 16 August 2002 10:36:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Peter Vintner Thanks Andrew for answering my Q. I think Mr Joshi was actually looking for something a little more contraversial and of course I don't associate myself with anyone who even thinks of treading that path. Peter