Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 27 August 2002 12:18:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mark Gaines Dear All, Thak you for the responses to my previous thread on Drivers Phone Policy. They have given me a useful insight into professional opinion on the subject. I share the majority opinion that a total ban on the use of phones whilst driving (even 'hands free')is the only sure fire way to eliminate the risk posed by the distracting nature of calls. However, I also understand that there may be some hurdles to overcome on introducing such a policy. I am now particularly interested in hearing from anyone who is prepared to discuss their own company's policy on the subject with me. My aim is purely to collate information on policy and prevent myself trying to reinvent the wheel. If you are willing to share your thoughts or have a policy on the subject I would be interested in hearing from you either directly or here on the discussion forum. Many Thanks Mark
Admin  
#2 Posted : 26 October 2002 15:50:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Aengus Mc Guinness I have written some guidelines for a company that i work for here in ireland and am now in the process of implementing them along with the SMS as a part of occupational driving in the safety statement. The company comprises mainly of maintenance technicians who are working on customers sites across Ireland. the law here is currently going through the Oireachteas but i am trying to keep ahead of the ball. short term solution is handsfree but then who pays for it. contact me by email if you want to talk further
Admin  
#3 Posted : 27 October 2002 11:41:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mark Betton Mark My employer has a mobile policy which (if I remember correctly) is part of a wider Driving policy. Basically, full hands free kits are acceptable - anyone who is found driving a company vehcile or driving a hire car or their own vehicle on company business will be disciplined. I must be honest and say that in my experience, a full hands free kit is not a problem - personally I am just as distracted by listening to the radio or talking to someone else in the car with me. Mark
Admin  
#4 Posted : 30 October 2002 11:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Steffan Groch There are two options open to you. Firstly to amend employees' contracts of employment and include an appropriate clause [which must be done with their consent!] or secondly introduce a clause within your h/s policy. If the h/s policy is non-contractural then you can amend this without seeking employees' consent although you would need to communicate to employees as to the change. I have drafted clauses for my clients in the past and would be happy to help if you drop me an e mail. Steffan Groch