Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 30 August 2002 13:04:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By wendy mcgarrity
Hello from a new member with a big headache. I'm Health and Safety Manager with a social care charity and many of our premises are now classed as " Houses in multiple occupation" As such we are required to have a fire escape window in every bedroom/living space on upper stories. Fine, except that we care for some high risk people including young homeless and people with mental health disorders/addictions(unfortunately nice bungalows are not an option). Until now we've restricted window opening as a matter of course, but not any more it seems. My view is that the risk of a fall, or jump from a height is far greater than the likelihood of needing to use a fire escape window, but in order to be licensed there doesn'e seem to be an option. Is anyone out there dealing with, or even better solving a similar prob? This maiden in distress would appreciate any help...
Admin  
#2 Posted : 30 August 2002 13:44:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Donaldson
Wendy

I don’t know where or who has given you that information.

There is NO requirement for having fire escape windows on the upper floors.

You are however required to ensure that there is a safe protected means of escape from upper floors.

There is a very old DoE Document ref 12/94 titled Houses in Multiple Occupation, Guidance to Local Authorities on standards of fitness under section 352 of the Housing Act 1985

This gives details of means of escape requirements and amenity standards.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 30 August 2002 14:41:00(UTC)
Admin

Thanks very much for your response John. Unfortunately I ommitted to mention that the guidance I'm using on mandatory licensing of HMOs is a publication from the Scottish Executive, part of which refers to an earlier Housing (Scotland) Act 1987, so it may be the situation is a bit different up here. However I'll look into the doc. you've suggested in the hope that my headach was for nothing.Cheers.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 30 August 2002 22:18:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor
This surprises me too Wendy. Windows were only rarely acceptable for escape routes where safer alternatives could not be provided (eg youth hostels and the like). You seem to be operating on a care basis rather than simply providing accommodation and I cannot see how you can discharge associated duties if persons in your care are at risk from openable windows. Try asking this question on the FireNet Fire Safety Forum (http://www.globalcrisiscenter.com/BBSFire/index.php) as well as talking to the fire authority.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 02 September 2002 09:28:00(UTC)
Admin

Thanks for your advice Ken, I'll follow it through.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 02 September 2002 11:51:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Gary Cutter
Hi Wendy

I've read your message. I may be able to help. I too have had to meet the demands of HMO legislation within Scotland. It is vastly different from anything else within the UK. However, that may change in the future and the rest of us may have to follow their lead.

The Scottish Statutory Instrument 2000 No.177 (The Civic Government (Scotland) Act 1982 (Licensing of Houses in multiple Occupation) Order 2000) has significantly affected classification of HMO and the way they are maintained and managed. I have had to jump through the same hoops that you are now going through. There’s too much for me to discuss so feel free to give me a ring and I think I will be able to point you in the right direction; if you contact Mary Sturgess at IOSH she will give you my number.

You might also like to read a short article I’ve done on some of the challenges safety professionals face in relation to this on the Fire Risk Management web site.

Regards

Gary Cutter
Chair Fire Risk Management Group

PS. if you haven’t joined our group yet you might want to consider it, mustn’t forget my sales pitch